Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Vanessa,

I pass Lewisham Archives everyday, so will stop off on the way home from work and see if any thing can be found.
    Julie

v.wells

Thank you Julie . That is very kind of you! The antiquities book seller was unable to provide any information on CB Beardsworth.

This is the info:

Charles Benjamin Beardsworth, Art Teacher living at 11 Ravensbourne Park Catford and married to Esther Ethel Jenny Wells, Drapery Clerk, living at 22 Summerfield Street, Lee as at Nov 1925. They also had a daughter Ann born 1934.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe View Post
    The only Beardsworth in the Origins Teachers' Registrations 1870 - 1948 is:
    Last Name BEARDSWORTH First Name ELSIE Registration Year 1930 Year of first position 1918, and was in Edge Hill, Liverpool.

No help there.

Maybe he taught privately and didn't need registration

Michael
    Michael - that conjures up evil thoughts of what kind of "Art Teacher" he was . My sister said she remembers talk of them both being a bit "strange"

I have since been in touch with Lewisham Archives and after a look up there have sent me on to Surrey History Centre for the Electoral Rolls to expand on the initials CB as noted on the book. The person at Lewisham after taking my dates and timelines and his look up thinks there is a strong possibility that Charles Benjamin Beardsworth is the author of the book. But I will update this post once I hear back from Surrey.

v.wells

Well, Surrey came back with the expanded initials - indeed it is Charles Benjamin. The dates/times and place addresses all work and since is the closest "claim to fame" our family has I ordered the book as a keepsake (on my son's urging)

Surrey also referred me to Elham Library as they may have news clippings in the Elham Herald the local newspaper. It has been much like calling a gov't office, being put on hold and transferred countless times to someone else in authority. But in the end it got results

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Good result, and another book to read!!

v.wells

It's probably a children's book, but should prove to be a quick read. It obviously didn't sell well,BUT it is in an Antiquities book store - so it have some kind of significance that being it is a 1st edition (and only edition). Won't know how many were printed to see it's value.

v.wells

Well I received "The Boy Who Became a Pillar-Box" in the good condition as advertised from the bookseller. It is indeed a children's book and it is written and illustrated by my C.B. Beardsworth otherwise known as Charles Benjamin Beardsworth. The front page confirms it as it is "Written for Ann" his daughter, my cousin.

Now I just have to find her!

While I was looking through the book (and yes, I am going to read it) it looked strangely familiar via the illustrations. Either the illustrations are more well know than I thought or I had seen it in my home as a child, possibly a gift from them to my brother. I guess I will never know that answer, but the hunt is on for Ann who could be anywhere!

v.wells

I made a connection to someone related to Charles's mother's side and we have swapped info and then he told me he had seen another book. I googled and lo and behold he had done another book in 1955 so I ordered it from an antiquities bookstore. Another children's book. Hopefully this one will have some sort of biography in it. Meanwhile I have sent off for his daughter's marriage cert.

Climbing up on the fame ladder

v.wells

No joy with the second book - he only illustrated it. The publisher was Blackie & Sons, London so may email for information dating back nearly 60 years Have also checked Scotlandspeople for a death up there but no luck either. Have just checked the GRO indexes for the umpteenth time and nothing. So I have no idea as to what country he died in. Starting to really irritate me, this fellow Maybe he got plucked up to Mars!

v.wells

So now I have the daughter's marriage certificate and have ordered her 2 children's m certs which should hopefully arrive before Christmas.

Esther Ethel Jenny Beardsworth died at Lord Mayor Treloar Orthopaedic Hospital, Alton and her address was Kelmscott, Arford Road, Headley, Alton. CB was the informant and has since disappeared from the face of the planet! His address was the same but Bordon is put in underneath the town of Headley. I am off to google maps and try to find a cemetery near.

Interestingly enough her occupation was listed as press artist, so obviously they were all "arty *arty" in that family, which is odd occupation for him as his father was a farmer - oh well it takes all kinds to make the world go round

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast