Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MickyMutt

Cool Yet another Mutton Family tree

Hi folks,
    I took over my family tree from a relative who had done most of the work in BC (before computer) times. He had to write letters to BMD offices, spend his holidays in the UK poking around various parts of Cornwall and Devon, visit churches and records offices. After he passed away, I was about the next person in our extended family to retire from work and who had an interest in taking it over. For the past twelve months I have been on the job on a daily basis. I am now looking for resources beyond the UK census and FreeBMD etc and am hoping to gain a greater insight into accessing early parish records and actually get to exchange information with living relatives in the UK. I do have a lot of information on my family post 1854 in Australia and am looking forward to finding someone to share it with in the UK.

cheers
    Michael (Mick) Mutton
    Geelong, Australia (GO CATS!)

Jan1954

Hello Mick and welcome to Brit-Gen

Get comfy, have a good look round and post your questions on the relevant boards. The good folk here will certainly be able to point you in the direction of resources other than census and BMDs.

Good luck!

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

and am hoping to gain a greater insight into accessing early parish records and actually get to exchange information with living relatives in the UK. I do have a lot of information on my family post 1854 in Australia and am looking forward to finding someone to share it with in the UK.
    Welcome to the forum Mick,

would you like any of us potential cousins in Australia to leave you alone then?

Just being cheeky - my husband descends from William Henry Mutton and Elizabeth Lock. We are in the initial stages of planning a family reunion in Avenel, Victoria for Easter Saturday 2009 - 160 years since they arrived in Australia.

Christine

MickyMutt

Arrow Settling In

Hi Christine, Thanks for the welcome. I'm familiar with your Mutton connection to Avenel (and your family website). Once thought your William Henry was one of my William Henrys. It is possible that a connection exists but it is probably back in the mid to late 1700s in South Hill or Stoke Climsland. Family chatter spoke of an Avenel connection and I recently discovered that our Charles Mutton and your George Mutton both had a Noonan connection through marriage but the Noonan historian is yet to establish that these Noonans were related.

Take a look at my tree in my profile.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I have spotted those 'others' before, and wondered if they belonged further back Guessed that you might have had a different line from the title of your posting

George Mutton's wife, Catherine Winifred Noonan was born abt 1858 - in Melbourne according to the marriage index. Her parents, James Noonan and Winifred Dwyer, married in 1854. I haven't purchased any documents for that line.

I checked out your website, many thanks for steering me there. The MyHeritage people have given me a free gold membership with their new site when they merged with Gencircles, but your Tribal pages are much easier to navigate and have the passworded section for living people too. I think I'll have to change over, it seems much more user friendly.

I am sure that you will find some cousins.

Christine

fourlambs

Default Mutton Trees

Hello Michael,

As I'm just up the road in Ballarat, I thought I'd mention the fact that I am researching the MUTTONS from Norfolk... 1750 to date. So far no links to the South West but if you come across anything in your virtual travels, please let me know and I'll do the same.

Regards
    Phil Mutton
    Ballarat, Vic

MickyMutt

Default Thanks Phil

Hi Phil,
    Do you have many Australian relatives and could you generally say they were South Aus, Vic or NSW Muttons? Apparently there is another Michael Mutton down this way (Bellarine) but I don't believe he is related to me. Just gets you wondering where people do originate from when you hear the name.
    cheers
    mick

fourlambs

Default Mutton Trees

Hi Mick,
    I do have a few other MUTTON relatives, some in WA and SA. All decended from my uncle, Frank Mutton, who was the first that I know of to emigrate from Norfolk in 1948.

It is quite possible that there were others before him but I am not aware of these. There was a Robert MUTTEN who came out in the 1800's, also from Norfolk, near where Frank was born.

Happy researching....

Phil

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question

Hi Mick
    Myself and husband live in Cornwall.
    There is a few of us down here but unsure if we are any relation to yourselves.
    My husband is cornish born and bred.
    I am wondering if any connection is here for you.

There is alot of Muttons here i will try and find more information. My fb name is my username if you would like to get in touch.
    Regards.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 10-09-2021 at 6:53 AM. Reason: Names and other personal details of (presumed) living people deleted as per our T&Cs.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Gin Mutton,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I'm not sure if you noticed the date of the first post in this thread but it's 2008, and the poster, MickyMutt, hasn't visited the forum since 2013.
    If he's still using the email address he used when joining BG then he should receive a message alerting him to your post.

If you can trace hubby's ancestors back to Stoke Climsland in the mid 1700s then you're probably related to Micky.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast