conniejane

Default robert elder and christian sinclair 1700s

hello. I have a robert elder marrying christian sinclair in 1786 in reay, caithness. their children, all born in reay, include alexander,james,barbara,william,donald,george and robert.
    I would love to know more about this family. anyone know how I could find robert and christians parents? thank you

jane.harrison.9

Hi connejane
    Not sure if it's your Robert Elder .
    On the IGI there is a Robert Elder bapt 4 Jun 1745 in Reay Caithness father Donald Elder.
    Also a Christian Sinclair Reay Caithness bapt 26 May 1759 father Donald Sinclair. A lot of Christians but this is the only one in Reay.
    Regards
    Jane

conniejane

thanks for that jane. both could possibly be mine. if christian is the only one,makes her more likely to be. brilliant. thnak you so much

robert_e

Quote Originally Posted by conniejane View Post
    hello. I have a robert elder marrying christian sinclair in 1786 in reay, caithness. their children, all born in reay, include alexander,james,barbara,william,donald,george and robert.
    I would love to know more about this family. anyone know how I could find robert and christians parents? thank you
    Hi, my name is Robert Elder. I stay in Ayrshire. My fathers family has been traced back to Reay:-

Willam Elder - farmer - Dachow, Reay
    -------
    Son, Donald Elder(1745-1785) Married(1758) Mary McLeod of Acharasker
    (William(1760),Isabell(1762),Elizabeth ?(1765), george(1767), Elspat(1770).

There were no Roberts on this side till I was born in 1939.

This must be the same farming family who came from that region(Reay).

I have the follow on from the above if it is of any help.

conniejane

pleased to meet you! yes please to anything that you have on the elder family. I am trying to somehow tie them all in......a pretty impossible task! i
    look forward to hearing from you. jane

robert_e

Hi Jane. I am still completing my present family. when i have finshed I will post the links from Reay to the present day.

conniejane

thats brilliant. cant wait. thanks for keeping me up to date. all the best. jane

Melberry

I am also trying to trace my Elder family in Caithness!
    My 3 x G Grandmother was Barbara Elder born 1813 in Reay, Caithness and married to John Bain.
    Barbara's parents were William Elder (1783) and Catharine Sutherland (1791) who were both from Reay.
    William's father was Donald Elder and Cath Bain.

The strange bits here are that Donald is noted on William's baptism record as also being known as Donald Mien, William Elder was baptised as William Mien but known as Elder or Mien and Barbara was only known as Elder!

Do you know of a link?! There are so many Elders!

conniejane

sorry, can't say if there is alink or not. there are so many elders and they all gave their children the same names! very difficult to unmuddle but I havent come across the name mien before. maybe the parents wernt married when some of the children were born which is why both names were used. have you been on the scotlands people web site to look for the marriage? it is pay to view but you do see the original records and can download them.
    sorry not to have been more help. happy hunting. jane

joette

I'm trying to say Mien in a Caithness accent to see what name I can come up with-closest I could come up with is Meehan.
    I love Reay it's so beautiful,my younger sister & family have been living there for about eighteen months.
    The names prevalent in the area are Gunn,McKay,Sutherland & everybody seems to have a connection to everybody else.

Do you have a place in Reay where they lived? It's certainly a challenging place to live.

Also remember in Scottish records many women's maiden names are given on the children's baptismal records,census etc.