Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Derbyshire Photographers & Photographic Studios

Following the interesting discussion at this evening's Derbyshire VGT about dating family photos, I would like to invite all forum members to visit my web site.
    The site contains:
    - an index to almost 300 photographers and studios, together with addresses and known dates of operation
    - several articles about photography in Derbyshire
    - profiles of over 90 different photographers, with brief biographies, and examples of their work; there are now several hundred photos on the site, mainly contributed by fellow researchers and visitors

(contd.)

(contd.) I have recently made quite a few additions to the site, so it's well worth a look if you haven't visited for a while. I must emphasize that none of this would have been possible without the valuable assistance of many folk, all of whom get mentions on the site somewhere. I would also like to express my thanks to the following people for contributions related to the latest crop of additions to the site: David Hutchings, Anne Williams, Rachel Brownell, David Simkin, Kath Marvill, Graham Robinson, John Palmer, Karen Cross, Mike Spencer, Angela Treweek and Max Solomon.

(contd.)

Default Contributions Needed - Images of old family photos

If you have any old family photos - I'm interested mainly in studio portraits, pre-WW1, from named Derbyshire studios - that you would like to share, I would be most grateful for the contribution of images for use on the site, please. The more images the site has, the more useful it will be to other researchers. Full details of how to scan your photo (full colour & at least 200dpi, incl. mount & reverse) and contribute an image are on my site.

If you would like a photo dated, I'd be happy to give it a try, to the best of my ability, or alternatively you can have a go yourself, using some tips provided by Roger Vaughan on his excellent web site

Regards and best wishes,

jeeb

Default B W Bentley

Hi Brett,
    I had a quick look at your interesting site on Photographers in Derbyshire. With the photos of B W Bentley, you state that the unidentified young girl standing behind the seated girl in the chair is the same girl seated alone in the photograph above but as she is wearing a different dress the photos must have been taken at different times. If you look closely at the photos the girls look very much like sisters to me but also the chair is the same in both photos and the girl is wearing the same bead necklace in both photos. Her hair style is exactly the same in both photos. If you then move on to the two photos of the old man with the long beard, these again are photos of the same man in different attire but obviously taken very close together. My point here is that I wonder if these people were 19th century 'models' used by B. W. Bentley to advertise his work, perhaps family members, we will probably never know unless someone is related and has other photos of these people.
    Cheers Jeremy

Thank you for your comments, Jeremy. It was quite common for people to return to the same photographer over periods of time. The photographers may have had models, possibly members of his own family as you suggest, but I have no evidence of that happening. The photos of the same individuals in slightly different clothes must have originated from the same source, probably a family collection which was later broken up for sale.

Regards and best wishes, Brett

adelphi

Default Bradwell Photograph 1870's era

Hi Brett,
    I wonder if you can help me. My Gt,GT.Grandfather ran the "White Hart Inn" in Bradwell Derbyshire and there is a photo on the wall of this Inn taken around the 1870's when he ran the Inn. I would like to find out if the photographer could have been Joshua Evans who came from the same village.

Do you know if he did Street Scenes or not?
    I think that my Gt.Gt.Grandparents John & Ann Archer are in this photo which was taken at the back of the Inn.
    I could e-mail you a photo I took of this photograph that the current Landlady allowed me to take.
    If you send me your e-mail address to my e-mail @[email protected].

Regards Michael John Archer

Dear Michael,

I'd be happy to have a look at the photo, and will contact you by email.

Hi Brett
    Nice to see you are still working hard
    Did you ever receive the ones I sent (or thought I sent) of Clay Cross by Albert Heath?
    All the best
    Neil

Hi Neil,

I remember receiving some images of post cards from you, but I can't seem to find any by Albert Heath, I'm afraid, so it appears they may be hiding somewhere. Are they portraits, or of general landscape scenes? If the latter, then perhaps I decided not to include them. I wonder if you would mind resending them, please?

Hi Brett
    Will do some digging and email you. I had them on here but suffered a crash and lost all pictures.
    Cheers
    Neil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast