pipsqueak

Post James / Lewis / Howells - Fishguard

I have a mysterious adopted son that I am trying to trace... I first saw his name in our family Bible - his name (James Lewis) and date of birth (7th May, 1867). His presence with the family was confirmed in the following census entries. Sometime between 1871 and 1881 he was adopted by the family. I imagine they changed his name from James Lewis to Lewis Howells because they already had a son called James Howells.

James Lewis, age 3, coachman's son, boarder, born Fishguard c1868 is
    with James and Mary Howells at Cwmbach, Manorowen, Pembrokeshire.
    Lewis Howells, age 13, son, scholar, born Fishguard c1868 is
    with James and Mary Howells at Cwmbach, Manorowen, PEmbrokeshire.
    Lewis Howells, age 23, boarder, coalminer, born Pembrokeshire c1868 is
    with James and Elizabeth Howells in Clydach, Ystradyfodwg, Rhondda
    (This James is a son of James and Mary)

I cannot be sure where he is in 1901. I'm wondering how I might be able to find out where he came from (there are no nearby coachmen in 1871) and where he ended up. I have hoped that by posting his information that anyone else looking for him might be helped in the discoery that he was not really a Howells, but a Lewis.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak
    I have a mysterious adopted son that I am trying to trace..his name (James Lewis) and date of birth (7th May, 1867). His presence with the family was confirmed in the following census entries. 1871
    James Lewis, age 3, coachman's son, boarder, born Fishguard c1868 is
    with James and Mary Howells at Cwmbach, Manorowen, Pembrokeshire.

I'm wondering how I might be able to find out where he came from...and where he ended up
    A few thoughts............

Does his birth appear as James LEWIS in the GRO index? (Haverfordwest District covers Fishguard).

You might try the Parish Registers to see if he was baptised.

Did James HOWELLS leave a will when he popped his clogs? - if so, does this mention his adopted son?

Are there any likely marriages for Lewis HOWELLS in the GRO index after 1891?

pipsqueak

I can find no birth record for James Lewis / Lewies in Haverfordwest for the date, although there is one in Cardigan (which is also near Fishguard).

James Howells was a humble Ag Lab so I've never checked for a will, although I probably should. He also has a mysterious grandson (also mentioned in the Bible) who was never with his parent.