Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Dale, yes we were at the Devonport/Key reunion and we subsequently visited you at your place.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Glad to help too.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I'm not related, but I have an interest in crime/ convicts and thought that the following might be of interest to you.

He was committed to Newgate gaol on 15 Feb 1840 to await his trial on 3 March. He was charged with "felony before convicted of felony ". In other words he had a previous conviction without which he would not have been transported for stealing goods valued at only 18d (d = pence).

He was described as an illiterate labourer and after conviction was ordered on 14 March to be sent to the prison hulk Fortitude where he remained until 28 Sept when he was transferred to the Hindostan.

I have looked for a previous conviction for William Hollingsworth Butler without success. However in the Newgate gaol records there was a William Butler of about the right age who was remanded on 7 Feb 1839 charged with stealing one sovereign and one half sovereign. Found guilty he was sentenced to 3 months hard labour.

If you don't know Newgate was located next to the Old Bailey.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi all, this is fascinating. I too am a descendent of Thomas Key...his son, also Thomas, is my great great grandfather in NZ...I'm sorry for the family of William Butler to lose their son all those years ago, but for his descendants in Australia, you wouldn't exist had he not been caught stealing some cotton from the window of my great great great grandfather's wife's store. I have seen the name Devenport come up several times on my family tree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12