Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    97Annie

Default Christ's Hospital School

I have just discovered the records of this school in the Guildhall Library, London. I knew from the 1841 census that Alfred Bosher (the name of my g g grandfather) was a pupil. The records contained copies of his baptism certificate which I already had, so confirmed it really was him. And the really exciting gem was that there was also a copy of his parents' marriage certificate. Up until now I had no mother's maiden name. Other useful information was the Parish in which they were living when he was admitted and discharged and the fact that there were four other children.
    So this is a brilliant source of information.

v.wells

That's marvelous news for you to find the marriage cert Annie!

specspec

Quote Originally Posted by 97Annie View Post
    I have just discovered the records of this school in the Guildhall Library, London. I knew from the 1841 census that Alfred Bosher (the name of my g g grandfather) was a pupil. The records contained copies of his baptism certificate which I already had, so confirmed it really was him. And the really exciting gem was that there was also a copy of his parents' marriage certificate. Up until now I had no mother's maiden name. Other useful information was the Parish in which they were living when he was admitted and discharged and the fact that there were four other children.
    So this is a brilliant source of information.
    I to have an ancester at this school in 1841, Benjamin Smitzer. age 13
    well i think it`s the same place, on the 1841 census it just says Christ's Hospital

Can i access any records on their web site.

I live in Australia, so can not visit the Guildhall Library,

97Annie

Hello Specspec.

I have looked at the 1841 census and it does look like Benjamin Smitzer was at Christ's Hospital School.
    The Guildhall does not provide access to the school records on the internet, but this is the link to their website
    https://www.history.ac.uk/gh/ghaccess.htm

It might be worth making contact with them to see whether it is possible to pay someone to search. The record you want is quite specific and it wouldn't take a great deal of time to look it up. I would offer to do it for you myself, but I don't live in London and made a special journey.

Kind regards
    Annie

SloopJB

Smile Christs Hospital

Annie,

How nice of you to share your success on the forum.

This allows others to benefit also.

My old school is over four hundred years old and I believe it was modelled partially on Christs Hospital.

I wonder where their old records are kept.
    I hope they have not been lost or worse still destroyed.

There is a tendency these days to destroy anything over two years old.

What an inspiring post annie.

Thanks, SloopJB.

97Annie

Quote Originally Posted by SloopJB View Post
    Annie,

How nice of you to share your success on the forum.

This allows others to benefit also.

My old school is over four hundred years old and I believe it was modelled partially on Christs Hospital.

I wonder where their old records are kept.
    I hope they have not been lost or worse still destroyed.

There is a tendency these days to destroy anything over two years old.

What an inspiring post annie.

Thanks, SloopJB.
    Thank you Sloop JB. I just put Christ's Hospital School into Google and discovered that the records were held in the Guildhall Library; so perhaps you could do the same with your school.
    I posted because only genealogists would understand the thrill of discovering the mother's maiden name pre 1837 - my non-genealogy friends and family glaze over and it is good to share the excitement! Also, of course, it lets others know of this source
    x Annie
    Thanks, SloopJB. [/QUOTE]

DavidM

Default CHRIST'S HOSPITAL

I think I can help here. CH was founded in 1553. Until 1902 the boys' upper was located in Newgate Street in the City of London, while the boys' preparatory school and the girls' school was located at Hertford. In 1902 the boys upper school and the boys' prep school moved to just outside Horsham in Sussex. That left the girls' school which remained (now on its own) in Hertford until 1983 when it, too, moved to Horsham.

The school (as a whole) has always kept full records of its pupils. If you want to trace a pupil then:
    If he/she joined before (about) 1908 the records are at the Guildhall Library (Manuscript Section). This is an excellent organisation and they will conduct a simple search for you free-of-charge. Essentially, they will confirm that the person attended the school, the years, and the parents' names and address. If you want any more than that you will have to engage a paid researcher or go there yourself.

If he/she joined after (about) 1908 you should write to The Museum at CH. This is staffed by part-time volunteers so don't expect a quick reply.

David

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default James Dillon Curtis/Tenniel Painting/Christ's

I just saw a post by Annie97 who found her g g grandfather at Christ's Hospital as a student in 1841. My g grandfather was also there in 1841 and I would like to connect with Annie. I have a painting of my g grandfather done by Sir John Tenniel in 1841 when my grandfather was 15 or 16. Annie97 are you there?

I would like to acquire a list of students at that time. I live in USA and do not have access to the Libraries there. Thanks

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums marethw

Annie97 hasn't been on here since 2009 but hopefully will still be using the same email address so will receive notification of your post.
    You could also try contacting her by private message (pm) by clicking on her name and then on private message in the drop down menu. This also relies on her having the same email address.

Evidently there is a book written which may help you. https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/z...ils-1552-1902/

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

97Annie

Default Christ's Hospital School

Quote Originally Posted by marethw View Post
    I just saw a post by Annie97 who found her g g grandfather at Christ's Hospital as a student in 1841. My g grandfather was also there in 1841 and I would like to connect with Annie. I have a painting of my g grandfather done by Sir John Tenniel in 1841 when my grandfather was 15 or 16. Annie97 are you there?

I would like to acquire a list of students at that time. I live in USA and do not have access to the Libraries there. Thanks
    Dear Marethw
    Thank you for your post. Yes I am still here. I can provide you with a list from the 1841 census. But I don't think I can send a scanned copy through this site. I'm not sure how to proceed unless we contact each other privately.
    Kind regards 97Annie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast