Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

I spent hours one day going through the census books for the area, street by street and yes, institutions seem to have separate books. I found the ones for a Little Chapel Street (now Caxton) which had the headmaster and his family, but not for the school students. I just need more patience. Doggedness? Sigh. There’s not much logic between book numbering and so many streets have changed names or disappeared, so I have to sort that out, find the relevant area on the map and see if it’s near where the school is.

Starting to feel at home

I’ve checked the Newgate one and couldn’t find him. So he possibly may be the Charles Henry at St Anne’s but he may have gone to the one I’m looking for afterwards as his mother had died by then: The Blewcoat (also written as Bleucoat which is Blue Coat.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blewcoat_School
    It’s not listed in that Charity Schools list that you linked though. Are they just current ones?

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ambersand View Post
    It’s not listed in that Charity Schools list that you linked though. Are they just current ones?
    On the Children's Homes page I gave a link to it says "This is not a comprehensive list of Charity Schools but focuses on those which provided residential accommodation for at least some of their pupils."

So possibly it was just a day school - I note from the Wikipedia page that you've given for it, there's a picture of a building much smaller than the Christ's Hospital ones, and that girls were admitted from about 1714. In other words, the building might not have been big enough to house dormitories, especially if separate ones were needed for boys and girls. And this could explain why it doesn't appear in the census.

I've also found a description of the building as a "one apartment structure", which I think means it is a single large room - in other words a teaching room and nothing else. This is at:

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/su.../pt1/pp144-147

A lot of this reply is speculation on my part, and there might be better answers elsewhere. I've found mentions of the Westminster Blewcoat School at both Westminster City Archives and the London Metropolitan Archives, but I don't know exactly what each of them holds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123