Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    glfries

Default Guernsey, McCORMICK, COHN

Hi
    looking for marriage date of John F.(possibly Francis) McCormick b:?
    and Maria COHN b:1838 Catel Guernsey (F:James COHN, M: Ann ?)
    I believe they may have been married bet: 1861-1863 @ St Peter Port Guernsey.

Any help, would be very appreciated!
    Laura

Jan1954

Hello Laura,

You may find this of help: https://user.itl.net/~glen/CIResearch.html

It's the "Research in the Channel Islands" website.

Good luck,

glfries

Smile

thank you Jan!

Jan1954

You're welcome!

Eve Foreman

Default Guernsey marriage

Hi Laura

I can look that McCormick= Cohn marriage up for you at the Priaulx Library where they hold all the parish church registers on microfilm. I'm going there sometime over the next few days.

Best wishes,

Eve

glfries

Eve, that would be great! thanks so much for the help!

Eve Foreman

Default Guernsey marriage

You're welcome Laura. I'll do my best to find it for you.

Eve

Eve Foreman

Default McCormick, Cohu

Hi Laura,

Been to the library where they hold all the church parish registers for the island, most of which are well indexed. Looked through all the marriage indexes - twice and through the registers of those churches not indexed -found no marriage I'm afraid. I kept an eye out for surname variations too.

Looking at the Civil Birth Reg. I found four Guernsey born children to the couple and it soon became clear that Maria was not formerly Maria COHN but Maria COHU [pronounced COY -OO] which is a Guernsey surname. So then I looked for a marriage again under the bride's name of COHU but still no luck.

Here are the birth details, each record stating the parents as John Francis McCormick & Maria Cohu:

John Francis McCormick b. 7 Jan 1870 in Vauvert Rd. St. Peter Port. Father's occupation - 'painter'

George Oscar McCormick b. 31 August 1871 in Collings Rd. St. Peter Port.
    Father's occpation - 'baker'

Edwrad Ernest McCormick b. 8 June 1874 in Collings Rd. St. Peter Port
    Father's occupation - 'painter'

Walter John McCormick b. 13 June 1876 in Collings Rd. St. Peter Port
    Father's occupation - 'painter'

I see on the Census that some of the children were born in Jersey as well as Guernsey & England. Have you tried Jersey?

Sorry I could not be of more help with the marriage but hopefully the info. I did find will be useful.

Best wishes,

Eve

glfries

Default thank you!

Thank you so much for all the effort you put out for this goose chase! and for straightening me out about Cohn-Cohu. Looking at the 1871 Census I can see now that it is a "U" ,the transcriber had it as Cohn so that is what I went by.
    You're right about Jersey, I tried to find my grandfather Henry Francis McCormick b;1864 @St Helier's (there was 50 yrs dif in age when he married my grand mother, it was his 2nd marriage) Birth reg there, but the researcher there could find no registration of his birth! So I'm stumped. The other children match up, exept for John Francis, I have him as being born in 1855 in Jersey , but then maybe there were two John F McCormick families living in Guernsey and both men were Painters!what are the chances???) (1 married to maria(1871 census) and 1 to eliza (1861 census), I "assumed", John had remarried) Oh, the joys of searching for needles in haystacks!
    thanks again, Eve, at least I know his family was there!
    Laura

Eve Foreman

Default McCormick, Cohu

You're welcome Laura.

A further thought on not finding your grandfather Henry F McCormick's birth c. 1864 in St. Helier, Jersey. Although Civil Registration was well established in the CI by then, many families did not bother with it as they should have done and carried on baptising their children in church as had always been the norm. So your grandfather's baptism may well be waiting to be found still even if the birth itself was not registered.

Good luck with your search.

Eve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast