Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Tailor

quiffdo

Default Master Tailor

Hi all

One of my rellies was a tailor in Cheshire and on the census he often had young lads living at his home or their on the day as apprentices.

Does anyone know if there would be records on him as he trained other people?

Regards
    Danny

Reputation beyond repute

Apprenticeships were just private arrangements at that time. Your best chance of finding anything would be if the local Guardians had arranged for a pauper youth to be apprenticed to him.

Depending on his age you might find a record of you ancestor's apprenticeship.

quiffdo

Thanks Peter

Ill look into that

Danny

Geoffers

It depends on whenyour chap was a master tailer. If in the 18th century, you may find reference to him in the Board of Stamps Apprenticeship Records. A facsimile copy of the original books is available for the earlier records, from the Parish Chest

Reputation beyond repute

I should have added that you stand a chance of finding an apprenticeship from 1710 up to 1811. See -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=295

maltonboy

Question Master Tailor Journeyman

In my family tree i have a master tailor journeyman, so excuse the ignorance but what is the difference?

regards
    maltonboy

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maltonboy View Post
    master tailor journeyman
    He could have been a 'journeyman' or a 'master' but not both at the same time. I'd recheck the source, if I were you

maltonboy

Post Apologies

My apologies. It's my dysl.....dark glasses!

regards
    maltonboy

maltonboy

Question My misunderstanding

Looked at my certs againand found that on his marriage cert he was a journeyman tailor and on his wife's death he was a master tailor.

does this seem correct? i've done a search on journeyman and found the definition. were they a journeyman and after enough experience become a master?

regards
    maltonboy

Marie C..

Yes, usually.
    A journeyman had served an apprenticeship or training and when he was more experienced and working for himself he became a master tailor or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast