Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: surnames

janbooth

What date and what area are your HIRONS from? I don't think from the names they are connected to my lot but I may be able to help in some way.

Janet

jonitchr

George Hirons bdate anywhere between 1813-1821 Job Hirons, his son, Oct 1854, his son, William John Hirons, 1883 And btw thank you!

janbooth

Do you have any census information? And is your Job the one born c1854 in Ullingswick, Herefordshire? If I have the correct family, according to census records George HIRONS states he was born at Cockbury Butts, Gloucestershire, which is near Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham. However, his baptism does not appear on the Gloucestershire FHS Baptismal Index 1813-1837 which is somewhat strange.

Looking at the 1851 census of Ullingswick, George & Mary's eldest son William was born in Worcester c1841 and Mary's father, William SMITH, aged 82 born Bromyard is living with them. Using this information, it looks as if George & Mary HIRONS are in Worcester in the 1841 census (HO107/1209/2, folio 33, page 21) living at Newport Street with son William & an Elizabeth HIRONS aged 5 not born in the county. There appears to be a marriage registration on the GRO Index in the December qtr 1840 at Worcester reg district, vol 18, page 659 of a George HIRONS and one of the other names on the page is that of a Mary Ann SMITH which would tie in very well with the 1851 census information. If you obtain that marriage certificate, it should give you the name and occupation of George's father which should make tracing him in earlier records somewhat easier.

Using Family Search Beta, there is the baptism of a Mary Ann SMITH at Ullingswick on 2 November 1812 daughter of William & Betty plus several siblings the earliest of whom baptised at Ullingswick is a James on 5 July 1801. The Herefordshire FHS Burial Index 1813-39 shows a burial at Ullingswick on 26 May 1828 of an Elizabeth SMITH, aged 62, which could be relevant to you, plus a burial on 22 January 1822 at Ullingswick of a James SMITH, aged 21, who looks to be the James baptised in 1801.

Finding George HIRONS' birth looks to be somewhat difficult so perhaps your first step should be to get his marriage certificate which may aid you in your search. Let me know if I can help further in any way. Tracing your SMITH line could also be difficult and I sympathise as I have at least 2 different SMITH branches in my direct line!!

Janet

jonitchr

Thank you so much. I did have the marriage info for George and Mary, but I did not have the baptism info of a Mary Ann Smith nor her mother's possible name. I don't have any information on George's father at all.

janbooth

You state that you have the marriage information. Does that mean that you have the actual marriage certificate and that it does not give any information about George's father - in which case he could be illegitimate - or that you just already had the date and place of his marriage. The marriage certificate should give you the name and profession of the father of both bride and groom which is an essential clue when you try to find the next generation back.

Janet

Chwarae Teg

I have an invoice here for a Mr. Charles Carless circa 1890 . Would he be one of your family ?

rguise

Default Reply for Charles Careless

Quote Originally Posted by Chwarae Teg View Post
    I have an invoice here for a Mr. Charles Careless circa 1890 . Would he be one of your family ?
    Have no info on a Charles Careless as the family has not been researched this far forward. Only have researched from Elizabeth Careless who married my 7th great grand father John Guise in 1702 in Fladbury. We have researched Elizabeth's family back 4 generations to Hugonis Careless born about 1540. These two families were in the Pershore - Fladbury area for many generations and have been very hard to research because of the bad state of the records kept in Pershore and Fladbury.
    Rodney.

Hi all,

I don't suppose any of you have any HIRONs (no S) in your family tree? Specifically, Westbury-on-Trym, Alveston, Henbury, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12