Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surnames

rguise

Default surnames

Hi all,
    Surnames I am researching in my clan are Guise, Hirons/Hiron, Farmer, Stafford, Careless, Dance, Drew, and Cowley. All come from Worchestershire, England.
    Regards
    Rod Guise.
    PS. The s on Hirons was dropped shortly after the family migrated to Australia.

janbooth

Default HIRON/HIRONS

Which HIRONs are you searching for - my maiden name was HIRON and my lot originate from Gloucestershire/Worcestershire.

Janet

rguise

Default Hiron

Hi Jan,
    My Hiron was George who was born in Castlemorton on the 20th April, 1845. He married Harriet Matilda Guise, daughter of John and Sarah Guise of Castlemorton, on the 12th October 1868.Their son, Herbert Edwin Hiron married Annie Matilda Farmer of Himbleton. They migrated to Queensland, Australia after their marriage.
    Rodney Guise.

janbooth

Default HIRON

Hi Rodney,

Not connected to my lot, I'm afraid, but do you have census information. If not, let me know and I will post it for you.

Janet

janbooth

Default George HIRONS

Hi Rodney,

Sorry for the delay - last week was absolutely hectic and I did not have very much spare time. Here are the census records for George & family:

1851 census of Castlemorton
    HO107/2043, folio 279, page 4

John HIRONS Head Mar 42 Machine Man Gloucestershire Mickleton
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 36 do Lower Guiting
    Edwin do Son U 12 Worcestershire Castlemorton
    Ann do Daur 8 do do
    George do Son 6 do do
    Louisa do Daur 4 do do
    Charles do Son 2 do do

1861 census of Castlemorton
    RG9/2098, folio 48, page 3
    Joyfields

John HIRONS Head Mar 52 Thrasher Machine Man Gloucestershire ?
    Elizabeth do Wife Mar 45 do Gitung
    George do Son Un 15 Ag Lab Worcestershire Castlemorton
    Louisa do Dau 13 do do
    Charles do Son 10 do do
    Elizabeth do Dau 8 do do

1817 census of Castlemorton
    RG10/3056, folio 59, page 15
    Prices Harbours

George HIRONS Head Mar 25 Ag Lab Worcestersh Castlemorton
    Harriet M do Wife Mar 21 Gloveress do do
    Herbert E do Son 2 do do
    Louisa M do Daur 1 do do

In the 1881 census George and family are still in Castlemorton at Gothie's Cottage. I can't find them on the 1891 census - had they emigrated by then?

In the 1841 census, it looks as if John, Betty and Edwin are in Beckford, Gloucestershire and he is described as an Ag Lab.

HTH

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 27-05-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Extra text

janbooth

Default John HIRONS

Rodney,

By the 1871 census of Castlemorton, John appears to have married again:
    RG10/3056, folio 60, page 17
    Joyfields Inn

John HIRONS Head Mar 60 Inn Keeper & Farmer Gloucestershire Mickleton
    Martha do Wife Mar 49 Inn Keeper's wife do Winchcombe
    Elizabeth do Daur Unm 18 do daughter Worcestersh Castlemorton
    Martha MAJOR Niece Unm 20 Assistant Innkeepers Gloucestershire Winchcombe

There is a marriage registration at Upton on Severn in the March qtr 1868, vol 6c, page 317 for a John HIRONS and a corresponding entry for a Martha HATTON. If you purchase this certificate, it should give you the name and profession of John HIRONS' father which will make tracing him in the parish registers easier.

John & 3rd? wife Mary Ann are still at Joyfields Inn in the 1881 census - you can look at this for yourself on the Family Search site.

Janet

rguise

Thanks Janet for all the extra information. You are a wealth of knowledge. Now I will be able to update more of the Hiron side of the family.
    Rodney.

rguise

Hi Janet,
    George died in 1887.On 19th October 1899, just 17 days after marriage, Herbert and Annie Hirons migrated to Australia, along with his mother , Harriot Matilda and brother John, then aged 6 years.Sister Louisa stayed in England, as she had married there.The Hirons arrived in Rockhampton on the 9th Dec.1899, aboard the ship "Juma" and went to work as farm servants.Herbert visited New Zealand in 1891, and used his address as c/o Mrs F Guise, Wild Bush, Riverton, New Zealand. He returned to Australia and took up land now called "Sansome" near Gladstone, not far from Rockhampton.

janbooth

Default HIRONS

Glad to be of help. Good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet

jonitchr

My mother's maiden name was Hirons. Her father was William John Hirons and his father was Job Hirons. Job's father was George Hirons. Anyone belong to this family of Hirons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast