Jessica1877

Default Old Steele family of Sandbach Cheshire

Hello,

I wonder if anyones doing any research or knows anything about the old Steele line of Sandbach Cheshire?

I have been in contact with a Steele cousin who sent me lots of info and the family tree of these Steeles who match up with my Steeles in the early
    1700's which is as far as I had managed to get back to on my own.

The tree then stretches back to 1540 when Thomas Steele of Weston was born. He was married to Alice Latham.

His son, Richard was married to Laticia Shaw and then Richard and Laticia's son, grand son and great grandson were all called William Steele.

Then the great grandson William married Mary Coniam;
    they had John who married Elizabeth.

Now though the old seat of the Steeles was Sandbach Cheshire at a place called Giddy Hall (now no longer exists) they did move about a bit and there's a whole branch of Irish based descendents though no irish by birth.

So some of these Steels lived and worked in Ireland then returned to England as in the case of John and Elizabeth Steele who moved down to Suffolk.

This is where this old tree meets my tree;

John and Liz had William Steel (now the 'e' at the end gets dropped)

Will married Prudence Naylor and they raised their family in Icklingham, Suffolk.

Will and Pru had William Steel (this is now 1758) and he married a Mary (?)

Will and Mary had Henry Steel in 1791 and he went onto marry Miriam Paine, descended from Dentons (her mother was Miriam Denton) also an old family this yime of Great Barton and Rushbrooke Suffolk.

Now, Henry and Miriam had Charles Edward Steel who became a veterinary surgeon in the Army Medical Corps.

He married a farmers daughter from Ardleigh, Essex, Frances Bedford and they had my great great grandfather, Edwin Bedford Steel (1871-1914) who was in the RAMC (captain 1798 then Major 1906)

Edwin married Ethel Mary Robinson, of a big wealthy Liverpool family of brokers, barristers and academics;

Edwin and Ethel had my great grandfather Christopher Bedford Steel in 1907;

He married my great grandma Ivy 'Rusty' Topham in 1937;

My grandma was born in 1938; my mum born in 1957 and I was born in 1983!

Any help, info on these old Steeles and the rest of those who were married to the Steeles would be most apprreciated.

Bye for now

Jessica Stella Fox

smokiesteele

Default steele family

hi my name is William Steele from cork city Ireland my family are only one of two Steele branches over here i think that maybe it came from England originally if it helps my father and grandfather and i think great grandfather were all called William also my grandfather died in the second world war at Dunkirk and is buried in France he was a fusilier in the royal irish regiment

Procat

Hi,

I have moved this thread from Introduce Yourself to the Cheshire forum

janbooth

Hello Jessica

Have you looked at the Cheshire Wills Online Database? There are 8 wills for the STEELE family of Sandbach starting with a widowed Ann in 1649 up to a George STEELE in 1860. Perhaps some of them may be relevant to you.

Doing a Google Book search for STEELE of Sandbach brings up a lot of hits, some of which may be interesting to you, including the fact that there is a book called "The Ancient History of Sandbach" which mentions your family amongst many other hits.

Janet

Jan1954

This mortgage from 1862, which mentions a Thomas STEELE, may also be of interest.

lizone

The Sandbach book mentioned is a very useful resource (also available to view on certain subscription sites); it's a potted history of the area plus particular families and odd names, etc. If you want a day out, the Cheshire Records Office in Chester is fantastic and very helpful - just book before you go; they have all the (available) Sandbach records there. Have fun!

smokiesteele

hi my name is william steele my grandfather serverd in the second world war killed at dunkirk at only twenty years old he was from cork city as i am i do not know how to trace back further we have family in england he served with the the royal irish regiment as steele is an unusual name in ireland would it make it harder to trace it back to its origin in england would like to think i have a lot of kin folk over in england

nholloway

Default Steel family

Hi

I'm researching the Steel family and google has taken me to your query - which I see is quite old now but I'm hoping that you still check the site from time to time/ haven't changed email.

With that in mind, I'll keep this brief as this could end up in some kind of cyber cul-de-sac.

The Steel family tree I have goes back to 1694 with Richard and Anne Steel of Chimney Mills, West Stow. I have them down as the parents of Will and Pru of Icklingham who in turn produced (Richard) William who married Mary Payne

Their offspring included Henry and George (and 3 others). This is where the branches of your family and mine split as I'm descended from George and you from Henry.

If you have any info going back beyond Will and Pru I'd very interested to see it. We seem to differ on the parents of Will (b.1731) and this is where my info stops for now (although I've only just started). Do you have anything on Pru Naylor (I didn't even have a record of her surname.)

Any help would be great.

All the best

Nick Holloway

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica1877 View Post
    Hello,

I wonder if anyones doing any research or knows anything about the old Steele line of Sandbach Cheshire?

I have been in contact with a Steele cousin who sent me lots of info and the family tree of these Steeles who match up with my Steeles in the early
    1700's which is as far as I had managed to get back to on my own.

The tree then stretches back to 1540 when Thomas Steele of Weston was born. He was married to Alice Latham.

His son, Richard was married to Laticia Shaw and then Richard and Laticia's son, grand son and great grandson were all called William Steele.

Then the great grandson William married Mary Coniam;
    they had John who married Elizabeth.

Now though the old seat of the Steeles was Sandbach Cheshire at a place called Giddy Hall (now no longer exists) they did move about a bit and there's a whole branch of Irish based descendents though no irish by birth.

So some of these Steels lived and worked in Ireland then returned to England as in the case of John and Elizabeth Steele who moved down to Suffolk.

This is where this old tree meets my tree;

John and Liz had William Steel (now the 'e' at the end gets dropped)

Will married Prudence Naylor and they raised their family in Icklingham, Suffolk.

Will and Pru had William Steel (this is now 1758) and he married a Mary (?)

Will and Mary had Henry Steel in 1791 and he went onto marry Miriam Paine, descended from Dentons (her mother was Miriam Denton) also an old family this yime of Great Barton and Rushbrooke Suffolk.

Now, Henry and Miriam had Charles Edward Steel who became a veterinary surgeon in the Army Medical Corps.

He married a farmers daughter from Ardleigh, Essex, Frances Bedford and they had my great great grandfather, Edwin Bedford Steel (1871-1914) who was in the RAMC (captain 1798 then Major 1906)

Edwin married Ethel Mary Robinson, of a big wealthy Liverpool family of brokers, barristers and academics;

Edwin and Ethel had my great grandfather Christopher Bedford Steel in 1907;

He married my great grandma Ivy 'Rusty' Topham in 1937;

My grandma was born in 1938; my mum born in 1957 and I was born in 1983!

Any help, info on these old Steeles and the rest of those who were married to the Steeles would be most apprreciated.

Bye for now

Jessica Stella Fox

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Nick,

I believe that we are distant cousins (if our common ancestors were Richard and Ann, we are probably about 8th cousins!). From what I have been able to determine the Steel family were at Chimney Mills from about 1723 to 1840.

My line is as follows:
    1. Richard Steel mar Ann Winnow at Fornham St Martin in 1724 (Ann was a widow, so Winnow may have been the surname of her first husband. Also, Richard was a widower, so may have had children from a previous marriage). Three children of Richard and Ann are George, Martha, and William.

2. George Steel (1725-1793) mar Elizabeth Simpson at West Stow in 1766. Three children were George Steel, Thomas Steel, and Elizabeth Mackerer Simpson Steel. George had previously been married to Jane Cook, and 2 children from this marriage were George and Richard.

3. George Steel (1767-1806) mar Elizabeth Ann Stevens at St Mary's Lambeth in 1794. There appear to have been at least 7 children, including George Steel (1798-1859) and John Steel (1802-1873).

4. George Steel (1798-1859) mar Anne Wiseman at Burgate in 1824. There appear to have been 5 children, including Elizabeth Ann Steel (1825-1922). A son, George Steel (1827-1900), went to New Zealand.
    John Steel (1802-1873) mar Mary Ann Tillbrook at St Mary's in Bury St Edmunds in 1826. There appear to have been 12 children in this family, including John Steel (1830-1894).

5. John Steel (1830-1894) married his cousin Elizabeth Ann Steel (1825-1922) at Depden in 1859. There were 6 children in the family, including Rupert William Steel (1867-1948). They emigrated to Canada in 1881. One of the 6 children died on the voyage to Canada.

6. Rupert William Steel (1867-1948) married Alice Sophia Shuter at Toronto in 1895. They had 8 children, including my grandmother, Dorothy May Steel (1904-1964).

7. Dorothy May Steel (1904-1964) married in 1926.

8. My parents.

9. Me.

Would like to know if we know where the Steel family was from before arriving at Chimney Mills around 1723.

Many thanks,

Mark

nholloway

Hello Mark

Thank you for your message - very interesting.

I'm going to cut to the chase here: I'm afraid I haven't been able to trace the family back beyond the Chimney Mills period. I did contact someone else on this forum who had made a leap from the Steeles of Sandbach to the Suffolk Steels but I think this was somewhat wishful thinking. Having said that, it's not inconceivable that there could be a connection, but she was unable to provide any evidence for the link.

By complete chance (or ancestral pull?!), I happen to live in Suffolk. When I moved to the county, about 15 years ago, I hadn't looked into my ancestry and had no idea that my forbears had inhabited this part of the world. At one stage we lived no more than 10 miles from Chimney Mills, in a village just outside Bury St Edmunds. It's all been a very pleasant surprise.

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't provide the missing link for you (which I also came to this forum to find!) but more than happy to discuss the Steels further with you. I have been to the beautiful old mill house at Chimney Mills and also have a copy of a family tree which includes the start of your line. I'm descended from William Steel (b.1731), the younger brother of your George....who got the mill!

Best wishes

Cousin Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkWoods View Post
    Hello Nick,

I believe that we are distant cousins (if our common ancestors were Richard and Ann, we are probably about 8th cousins!). From what I have been able to determine the Steel family were at Chimney Mills from about 1723 to 1840.

My line is as follows:
    1. Richard Steel mar Ann Winnow at Fornham St Martin in 1724 (Ann was a widow, so Winnow may have been the surname of her first husband. Also, Richard was a widower, so may have had children from a previous marriage). Three children of Richard and Ann are George, Martha, and William.

2. George Steel (1725-1793) mar Elizabeth Simpson at West Stow in 1766. Three children were George Steel, Thomas Steel, and Elizabeth Mackerer Simpson Steel. George had previously been married to Jane Cook, and 2 children from this marriage were George and Richard.

3. George Steel (1767-1806) mar Elizabeth Ann Stevens at St Mary's Lambeth in 1794. There appear to have been at least 7 children, including George Steel (1798-1859) and John Steel (1802-1873).

4. George Steel (1798-1859) mar Anne Wiseman at Burgate in 1824. There appear to have been 5 children, including Elizabeth Ann Steel (1825-1922). A son, George Steel (1827-1900), went to New Zealand.
    John Steel (1802-1873) mar Mary Ann Tillbrook at St Mary's in Bury St Edmunds in 1826. There appear to have been 12 children in this family, including John Steel (1830-1894).

5. John Steel (1830-1894) married his cousin Elizabeth Ann Steel (1825-1922) at Depden in 1859. There were 6 children in the family, including Rupert William Steel (1867-1948). They emigrated to Canada in 1881. One of the 6 children died on the voyage to Canada.

6. Rupert William Steel (1867-1948) married Alice Sophia Shuter at Toronto in 1895. They had 8 children, including my grandmother, Dorothy May Steel (1904-1964).

7. Dorothy May Steel (1904-1964) married in 1926.

8. My parents.

9. Me.

Would like to know if we know where the Steel family was from before arriving at Chimney Mills around 1723.

Many thanks,

Mark