Ronald

Default William Shannon, 1798 - 1868

Wm. is my great grandfather and was born in Cty Monaghan, in Newbliss Parish. That is my sum total of his home beginnings. He and his wife Jane Elizabeth immigrated to Ontario to Grenville County in either 1828 or 1829 as he and wife are listed in the 1829 census of Augusta Township. I am trying to locate where his birth location was exactly and if there were siblings that stayed in Ireland. I had always thought that his wife's maiden name was Mayne but have recently found a paper staing Greer??? How can I best start the search process from my Canadian side of the big pond? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Ronald

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
    Wm. is my great grandfather and was born in Cty Monaghan, in Newbliss Parish. That is my sum total of his home beginnings. He and his wife Jane Elizabeth immigrated to Ontario to Grenville County in either 1828 or 1829 as he and wife are listed in the 1829 census of Augusta Township. I am trying to locate where his birth location was exactly and if there were siblings that stayed in Ireland. I had always thought that his wife's maiden name was Mayne but have recently found a paper staing Greer??? How can I best start the search process from my Canadian side of the big pond? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Ronald

Depends on religion. Your best start would be to look up records on PRONI, the records will not be in Ireland but in UK for pre 1922.

Ronald

I visited Ireland in August 2008 and while I did not find any direct Wm. Shannon info, the area around Newbliss did have Shannon families, one of whom I talked to near Clones but whom has no knowledge beyond his father. I passed through Four Ash Trees where Wm. Shannon supposedly came from but had no time left for research, There is a church in Clogher with Shannon families on the register too. My question: Can you direct me to somewhere or someone who is knowledgeable in the Newbliss area of Couty Mongahan? Ronald

Hall/Swan

If I said Wm broke his neck when he fell off a wagon would that make sense to you?

Yes/No would suffice as I'm not putting too many details on line due to "harvesting" of data. This is absolutely no reflection on BG but due to experiences nearer to home. I can then give you an email address.

Ronald

Yes