Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAPER STAINER

Marianne21

Smile PAPER STAINER

I am interested in an ancestors occupation of Paper Stainer. Does any one know what kind of work he would have done? Would he have worked in a factory c1850-1880.

Thanks for any help.

hughar

Some information on firms of Paper-Stainers at
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...mpid=28708#s10

A description of the work at
    https://books.google.com/books?id=HQh...2&lr=&as_brr=1

And if you want more, try Google and Google Book Search.

Marianne21

Thanks for the information. He lived in Hackney having moved there from Berkshire. I will look at the general area and see what I can find. It was his occupation for about 30 years so there must have been at least one factory in the area.

Many thanks for all information.

richard3663

My family worked in Hackney from about 1800 onwards father and son as paper stainers.never had much joy in finding out more or a name of the factory.Have you had any news?
    The internet just keeps taking me back to the first commercial printers who worked in london at the time but seems like a bit of a dead end.

Stuart Arnold

Question Paper stainers

My ancestors were also paper stainers (grainers, marblers) in the East End of London. They moved around a lot - Hoxton, Shoreditch ... I'm not sure if they worked in factories as we know them. Family name was Hyland. Does that link in with any others?

Reputation beyond repute

Paper Stainer is a generic term for any worker engaged in colouring paper by hand or machine. If you're looking for a job description, you'll need to dig around and find a more precise job title.

Spangle

Just a thought... there was at least one well-established Huguenot family around at the time who were calico block printers and, I believe, were thus involved in paper staining. The Huguenots I have in mind ended up in Wandsworth but one such, possibly the same family, operated in Spitalfields and the surrounding areas. This much I know as my own ancestors, the Ilett family, were paper stainers and calico block printers.

It may be worth Googling the terms Huguenot and calico or paper staining and seeing if anything of relevence comes up.

Stuart Arnold

It seems to have something to do with wallpaper. My relations in the Tower Hamlets area of London also used the terms paper graining, marbling and later simply painter. They moved over time to the West of London - wealthier homes to decorate? Anyway - the surname involved was 'Hyland'

Randallovich

Smile Paperstainers

Hello,

I too am trying to trace my family who were paperstainers in the East end of London. Briefly, my great grandfather, William Pugh, married Caroline Evans on 12 August 1877 in Hackney, daughter of Samuel Thomas Evans, paperhanging manufacturers at 179 Shoreditch E. From there on it is assumed he was "apprenticed" to learn the business because the census's in 1880, 1890 1901 describe his profession as a Paper Hanging manager / Dealer. From there I no further information save on his death certificate he was described as a retired wallpaper manufacturer.

Eventually William Pugh must have taken on the business but in what capacity I know not. Could it have been a Partnership, limited Company or just a Sole Trader? And where was the business held to make wallpaper
    There was a rumour in the family that the business was sold to Sandersons in the early 1930's

I've not gone to Sanderson's because because of the laqck of detail.

I would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light or share information with me.

Thanks

DRT

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face Paper Stainers - Evans family, London

Hi
    I am a latecomer to the conversation, but I think you are probably related to my husband. :-)
    His GGG grandfather was William Evans (wife: Harriet Vidler), married 1815 St John Hackney. William was born ~1785, Oswestry, Shropshire, and "held the position of first 'Paper Stainer' in London." (From family notes left by William's granddaughter, Emma Bowrey.) Apparently it was a very good business and allowed the Evans children to get a good education. "One brother wwas a Medical Doctor, another a BA, and another was an artist and studied with Holman Hunt at the Royal Academy." (Same source.) Several of William and Harriet's children were born in Shoreditch, so this seems like the same family. I notice your Caroline (Evans) Pugh has a middle name of Harriet, maybe named after her aunt? I am looking for a link between the two families, but maybe you already have it?
    Thanks heaps, Kathy (NZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Randallovich View Post
    Hello,

I too am trying to trace my family who were paperstainers in the East end of London. Briefly, my great grandfather, William Pugh, married Caroline Evans on 12 August 1877 in Hackney, daughter of Samuel Thomas Evans, paperhanging manufacturers at 179 Shoreditch E. From there on it is assumed he was "apprenticed" to learn the business because the census's in 1880, 1890 1901 describe his profession as a Paper Hanging manager / Dealer. From there I no further information save on his death certificate he was described as a retired wallpaper manufacturer.

Eventually William Pugh must have taken on the business but in what capacity I know not. Could it have been a Partnership, limited Company or just a Sole Trader? And where was the business held to make wallpaper
    There was a rumour in the family that the business was sold to Sandersons in the early 1930's

I've not gone to Sanderson's because because of the laqck of detail.

I would be very grateful if anyone can shed some light or share information with me.

Thanks

DRT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast