Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAPER STAINER

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Marianne21

Smile PAPER STAINER

I am interested in an ancestors occupation of Paper Stainer. Does any one know what kind of work he would have done? Would he have worked in a factory c1850-1880.

Thanks for any help.

hughar

Some information on firms of Paper-Stainers at
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...mpid=28708#s10

A description of the work at
    https://books.google.com/books?id=HQh...2&lr=&as_brr=1

And if you want more, try Google and Google Book Search.

Marianne21

Thanks for the information. He lived in Hackney having moved there from Berkshire. I will look at the general area and see what I can find. It was his occupation for about 30 years so there must have been at least one factory in the area.

Many thanks for all information.

richard3663

My family worked in Hackney from about 1800 onwards father and son as paper stainers.never had much joy in finding out more or a name of the factory.Have you had any news?
    The internet just keeps taking me back to the first commercial printers who worked in london at the time but seems like a bit of a dead end.

Stuart Arnold

Question Paper stainers

My ancestors were also paper stainers (grainers, marblers) in the East End of London. They moved around a lot - Hoxton, Shoreditch ... I'm not sure if they worked in factories as we know them. Family name was Hyland. Does that link in with any others?

Reputation beyond repute

Paper Stainer is a generic term for any worker engaged in colouring paper by hand or machine. If you're looking for a job description, you'll need to dig around and find a more precise job title.

Spangle

Just a thought... there was at least one well-established Huguenot family around at the time who were calico block printers and, I believe, were thus involved in paper staining. The Huguenots I have in mind ended up in Wandsworth but one such, possibly the same family, operated in Spitalfields and the surrounding areas. This much I know as my own ancestors, the Ilett family, were paper stainers and calico block printers.

It may be worth Googling the terms Huguenot and calico or paper staining and seeing if anything of relevence comes up.

keith.robinson

Looking through the British Newspaper Archive, there are a couple listed as going bankrupt. 1878 Samuel Gilkes and William Jones, Triangle, Hackney Middx. 1867 Eliza Wagstaff, Fancy paper stainers, Balls Buildings, Morning Lane, Hackney. Also, someone with the relevant trade directories of the time could have a quick look for you.

keith.robinson

Just to add, the Post Office London Directory of 1875 lists paper stainers under several categories such as Paper Hanging Manufacturers, Paper Stainers Block Cutters and Paper Stainers Flock Manufacturing.

Stuart Arnold

It seems to have something to do with wallpaper. My relations in the Tower Hamlets area of London also used the terms paper graining, marbling and later simply painter. They moved over time to the West of London - wealthier homes to decorate? Anyway - the surname involved was 'Hyland'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast