Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PAPER STAINER

Hi Kathyv and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.

I have no connection to these people but thought I'd have a search around and see if I could help you make a connection to Caroline Evans daughter of Samuel Thomas Evans.

I think your hunch was right, here's STE baptism courtesy of Ancestry.

City Road, The Tabernacle (Independent) London. Baptised Oct 6th 1820.

Samuel Thomas Evans born Jul 30th 1820. son of William Evans, paper stainer, of the parish of St Leonards Shoreditch and Harriot[sic] his wife.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so much, Alma. Yes, these people were Congregationalists and The Tabernacle was where they worshipped. Much appreciated!

More baptisms for children born to William and Harriet at City Rd, Tabernacle.

John Owen Evans, born 22nd Apr 1823; Harriot born 8th July 1817;

A great informative baptism record.
    Presbyterian, Independent or Baptist
    William Evans son of William Evans and Harriet his wife, who was dau of Thomas Vidler was born 173 Holywell St in the parish of St Leonard Shoreditch. 27th Jan 1816, present at birth Elizabeth Heapes or Heaps and Sidney Owen or Owens.

1851 census, 5, St George Terrace, Hackney, HO107; Piece: 1505; Folio: 58; Page: 27

John O Evans 27, head, physician, Shoreditch
    William Evans 66, father, retired paper stainer, Oswestry Shropshire
    Harriet Evans 62, mother, Hoxton, Middlesex
    Emma M Evans 32, sister, Shoreditch
    Louisa S Evans 29, sister, Shoreditch
    Edward J Evans 24, B.A. London Missionary ????, Shoreditch
    Jane Lavington 27, house servant.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by kathyv View Post
    Thank you so much, Alma. Yes, these people were Congregationalists and The Tabernacle was where they worshipped. Much appreciated!
    Kathy, if there are other records you'd like help with please ask and we'll try to help.
    Alma

keith.robinson

Looking through the British Newspaper Archive, there are a couple listed as going bankrupt. 1878 Samuel Gilkes and William Jones, Triangle, Hackney Middx. 1867 Eliza Wagstaff, Fancy paper stainers, Balls Buildings, Morning Lane, Hackney. Also, someone with the relevant trade directories of the time could have a quick look for you.

keith.robinson

Just to add, the Post Office London Directory of 1875 lists paper stainers under several categories such as Paper Hanging Manufacturers, Paper Stainers Block Cutters and Paper Stainers Flock Manufacturing.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Records of London Missionary Society

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Kathy, if there are other records you'd like help with please ask and we'll try to help.
    Hi again,

Can anyone help me with online access to these records? My husband has ancestors who were with the LMS and years ago when in London I accessed the SOAS archive with great results. Now I discover another relative with the LMS but am home in NZ! It appears one can only access the records in person. Can anyone tell me if that's still the case?

Many thanks
    Kathy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12