Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default RAF Cranborne Rhodesia

My father spent most of early WW2 in Rhodesia where they were training pilots. I have his wonderful photograph album with many photos of the people who were there. Is there anyone else out there with similar. Would love to hear from you if your father was there too.
    Jen

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Smile

Not sure where RAF Cranborne Rhodesia was but may late uncle had this pilot training in Rhodesia. He was at I.T.W - Bulawayo, E.F.T.S. - Guinea Fowl and S.F.T.S. - Thornhill.
    I have a few photo's of pupils and instructors. This was 1943 and he went on to fly Spitfires with 17 Squadron.
    Keith

Cranborne was near Salisbury.
    Jen

maltonboy

Smile Grandad

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    I have a few photo's of pupils and instructors.
    i was wondering if it was possible for you to post some in this forum or email them to me as my grandad was an instructor out in Rhodesia.

Seeing this thread reminded me that i actually knew very little about his time in the RAF in WW2. I have phoned my grandma and she is going to get what he had together for me to have a look through. She also got him to write a resumee about his time, in the RAF, before he died a couple of years ago and my aunt is now typing it up. Can't wait.

All i know is that when he was training a student one of them crashed the plane and my grandad lost all but 4 of his teeth and had dentures made (aged 23!)

regards
    maltonboy

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Smile

I will try to scan photo's tomorrow and e-mail you.
    Keith

Steve_32

Default Grandfather who was in Rhodesia for WW2

Hi Jen,

I came onto your thread as a byproduct of a Google search when researching Rhodesia in WW2 as my grandfather was there for most of the war I think.
    I'm researching his war history at the moment and working from memory of what he told me before he died.

I know he was RAF ground crew, manning the fire truck and rescue vehicles for a training ground there in Rhodesia. I've not located exactly where yet but Bulawayo is a name my father recognised and we are waiting for his service record.
    I remember him talking about it being a training ground and pulling pilots out of crash landed planes, my father's got old photographs my grandfather took whilst he was out there which I hope to get copied and scanned soon.
    Once I've got some more info or pictures I'll jump back on line and share anything I find.
    A picture I vividly remember seeing in the past where of a swimming pool they had there on the base, with my grandfather and all his friends standing on the side.

Steve

maltonboy

Cool Fire & Rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_32 View Post
    Hi Jen,

I know he was RAF ground crew, manning the fire truck and rescue vehicles for a training ground there in Rhodesia. I've not located exactly where yet but Bulawayo is a name my father recognised and we are waiting for his service record.
    I remember him talking about it being a training ground and pulling pilots out of crash landed planes, my father's got old photographs my grandfather took whilst he was out there which I hope to get copied and scanned soon.
    Once I've got some more info or pictures I'll jump back on line and share anything I find.

i have my gdad's log books at home and i am sure Bulawayo is in it. when you say your gdad was in the fire and rescue side he may have rescued my gdad! my gdad was a pilot trainer and rumour has it that one trainee crashed the plane into a telegraph pole and my gdad lost all his teeth apart from 4 of them!

i have also sent you, Steve, a pm.

regards
    christopher

Hi Steve
    My father was at Cranborne which was Salisbury. I also have photos of the group at the swimming baths which my father identified as Salisbury baths. They all looked as though they were having a jolly good time.
    jen

maltonboy

Smile F I S Norton, Rhodesia

i have been looking through my gdad's logbook and photoalbum and it seems he was based at F I S Norton in Rhodesia.

if anyone has a relative who was there it would be good to get in contact and perhaps swap photos.

regards
    maltonboy

mancity888

Exclamation RAF Cranbourne

My grandfather, now 91, was at Cranbourne from 1940 to 1947. He used to have loads of pictures, all lost in a fire last year. If anyone can email, post- it would be his best Christmas ever- will pay for copies too. He has cancer now so this will probably be his last Christmas- can anyone help please.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast