Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipevn View Post
    Hello Babs. Unfortunately the RATG did not have Spitfires in Rhodesia. They only had Harvards and Tiger Moths, therefore your father must have trained on Spitfires in the UK or in another commonwealth country.
    I wonder if Babs' father went back to Cranborne after the war.
    This history of RATG says they did have them later.

https://zimfieldguide.com/harare/rhod...mmonwealth-war

Cranborne

Originally a flying school known as Hillside, but renamed Cranborne in 1939 and located 5 kilometres from the city centre. A SFTS was opened here in July 1940, as part of the RATG. From 28 November 1947 it acted as the main SRAF air base and included the Spitfire squadrons. The rapid post-war expansion of the city of Harare forced its closure in 1952, when New Sarum airbase opened. The area is now residential with Cranborne Barracks occupying part of the site.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by StintonLomas View Post
    I wonder if Babs' father went back to Cranborne after the war.
    This history of RATG says they did have them later.

https://zimfieldguide.com/harare/rhod...mmonwealth-war
    If you read through the document the RATG never had Spitfires in Southern Rhodesia. They did how ever have a few Hurricanes towards the end of 1944. There is no info as to which RATG airfield these were flying from.
    The Spitfires that came to Southern Rhodesia were ex RAF Spitfire F.22's and these were delivered to the Southern Rhodesian Air Force after the RAF had closed some of its RATG facilities down including RAF Cranborne. RAF Belvedere and RAF Cranborne shut down on the following dates 16 November 19457 and September 1945.
    The SRAF took over RAF Cranborne and flew the Spitfires from there until such time as New Sarum opened.

Here is a listing of all aircraft types used by the RATG & RAF in SR until the RAF left:

During WW2:
    Training aircraft
    • Airspeed Oxford
    • North American Harvard
    • Tiger Moth
    • Avro Anson
    • Fairey Battle
    • Fairchild Cornell
    • Hurricane

After WW2:
    • North American Harvard
    • Tiger Moth
    • Avro Anson
    • DeHavilland Chipmunk

The Spitfire F.22's arrived in Southern Rhodesia in 1951 after RAF Cranborne had been shutdown and handed to the Rhodesian Air Force.

Knowledgeable and helpful

My father was at Cranborne in the early 40s he too would have loved to have returned there. I have lots of photos of his time there and would be happy to get them to you. You can email me if you like jmstockerat austindotrrdotcom

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by BabsW17 View Post
    Hi There. My father trained to fly Spitfires in Rhodesia - not sure of the dates but prob 1942. He used to play tennis with the family of local people and was well known for playing the piano. His name is/was Granville Hewitt. He loved Rhodesia and would have returned had he not broken both his legs while test driving a motorbike one morning after he returned from reconnaissance over Suez/Med while based in Egypt.
    My biggest regret is that I never talked to him about his time in the RAF.
    Would love to hear from anyone who may have had photos of people out there during this time.

Babs
    Posted in the wrong place before as I was on my phone. I have a lot of photos of Cranborne with a big group photo of the men who were there. Not sure if that is where your father was per the discussion about Spitfires If you email me I can send them to you.jmstockerataustindotrrdotcom. Jenny

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jenjen View Post
    My father was at Cranborne in the early 40s he too would have loved to have returned there. I have lots of photos of his time there and would be happy to get them to you. You can email me if you like jmstockerat austindotrrdotcom
    Hi Jenjen.
    Would love copies of any photos from the RATG. Watch for an email from avrovatskydotcom

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi! I know this is 10 years later but haven't seen much re the 237 squadron. My father-in-law was a rigger in the squadron - am busy typing out his diaries now.

He was Herbert (Bertie) Lennox
    Last edited by mavelen; 23-10-2019 at 8:47 AM. Reason: extra info

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by mavelen View Post
    Hi! I know this is 10 years later but haven't seen much re the 237 squadron. My father-in-law was a rigger in the squadron - am busy typing out his diaries now.

He was Herbert (Bertie) Lennox
    Hi mavelen. Would it be possible to obtain a copy of your father-in-laws diary once you've typed it out. I know someone who is busy doing the history of 237 (Rhodesia) Sqn from its inception to its disbandment. I will ask him if he has any info on Herbert (Bertie) Lennox and if he has I will obtain a copy of it and post it for you. Regards Phillipevn

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Phillipevn. Thanks for your quick response. It seems the family would prefer not to share the diary as it is quite personal in places. However I would be very grateful to have any info you could provide! Many thanks! Regards mavelen

I don't know if this is still active but here's hoping.

My husband's father was in the RAF during ww2 and posted to South Rhodesia from 1943 under the Empire Air Training
    Scheme. His name was Ronald Lawrence Lovatt or Ron Lovatt and he was from Stoke-on-trent.

He disembarked in South Africa then onto Moffat and finally No.26 Elementary Flying Training School at
    Guinea Fowl. Given they operated Tiger Moth and Cornell trainers I suspect his role was more technical trade
    supervision of ground weapon armoury.
    Sometime later he was moved to RAF Station Cranbourne until he returned to the UK after the war.

I believe it was while he was stationed in Rhodesia he became friends with Ian Smith, who later became leader of Rhodesia.

I am hoping someone here might be able to help me.

Unfortunately I do not have any photos of him during his war years, so was hoping anyone who had relatives stationed in Rhodesia and has photo albums would look to see if there are any with him in them. If so if they would be willing to email me copies? Or if anyone has photos of unidentified servicemen I could look at, again trying to find him?

I would be very grateful for any and all help.

Thanks

Julie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, my grandfather robert william murray trained at cranborne as a spitfire mechanic in 1940. I have a couple of pictures of him and the 266 squadron. Would be delighted to swap photos.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast