Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

I have pictures but cannot guarantee that your grandfather is on them. Unfortunately the album is in England and I will not be back there until June. Ask him if he knew Norman Knowles. My father went out on a ship which put in at Durban. I know the rest of the convoy went on to Singapore and they were torpedoed or captured. He was friendly with a family called the Millers who stayed in Rhodesia. Sorry I can't help with the photos.
    Jen

mancity888

Default Thanks

Thanks JenJen. I will be with him on Christmas day and will ask him. I will let u know.

Mancity888. Have the photos. Look for an email
    Jen

mancity888

Smile Photos

Fab news Jenjen. Will be with Grandad- Cyril Kensington- he is 91 now- on Christmas Day- hope to see your email by then so I can take pics with me. Many, many thanks- this will make him so happy.

bungee48

Default RAF ground crew Bulawayo

linked into you through a Google search. Have found box of photos (yes, even a swimming pool!) when father was serving ground crew in RAF and even a panorama sky line shot over Rhodesia. He died in 1961 and I have no idea about station, camp or anything whatever as cannot see on photos - when he came back to UK he was stationed in Ibsley. Question: how do I find out his station so that I may scan photos if of interest to anyone? There is one of a very very wet officer climbing out of the pool! Many thanks

You can get your father's records from the RAF. I think someone posted earlier where you write. There is a fee unless your mother is still alive. My husband got his father's army record and it made interesting reading. The pool my father went to was Salisbury baths. I take it you have looked on the back and there is no indication of the place.

Geoffers

Welcome to the B-G forums Bungee.

To save you hunting around, this is the link to the Veterans' Agency giving details of how to obtain a copy of a service record.

Val James

Default Flt Sgt Dennis Bensted Smith

Flt Sgt Dennis Bensted Smith served with 500 Squadron, RAFVR and was shot down and killed in 1942 over the Bay of Biscay. He served with Coastal Command. He was South African but joined the Rhodesian Air Force about 1940 I think. I don't know where he did his training, but perhaps someone has heard of him? I would appreciate any information.

ptonga

Quote Originally Posted by mancity888 View Post
    My grandfather, now 91, was at Cranbourne from 1940 to 1947. He used to have loads of pictures, all lost in a fire last year. If anyone can email, post- it would be his best Christmas ever- will pay for copies too. He has cancer now so this will probably be his last Christmas- can anyone help please.
    I have photo of Cranbourn pool for your G.pa. contact me jimmymain (AT) hotmail (DOT) com and I will send it to you,did your G.pa know Bill Dawson (pilot with Rhodesian Air force) I am trying to contact him and his son Ian.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 17-05-2009 at 8:44 PM. Reason: Email address edited in the continuing war against spammers

ptonga

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_32 View Post
    Hi Jen,

I came onto your thread as a byproduct of a Google search when researching Rhodesia in WW2 as my grandfather was there for most of the war I think.
    I'm researching his war history at the moment and working from memory of what he told me before he died.

I know he was RAF ground crew, manning the fire truck and rescue vehicles for a training ground there in Rhodesia. I've not located exactly where yet but Bulawayo is a name my father recognised and we are waiting for his service record.
    I remember him talking about it being a training ground and pulling pilots out of crash landed planes, my father's got old photographs my grandfather took whilst he was out there which I hope to get copied and scanned soon.
    Once I've got some more info or pictures I'll jump back on line and share anything I find.
    A picture I vividly remember seeing in the past where of a swimming pool they had there on the base, with my grandfather and all his friends standing on the side.

Steve
    Cranbourne pool was built by the RAF and the school I went to was the Barracks for the air force(Nettleton primary school) named after a pilot whos second name was Nettleton his picture was in the assembly hall I think he was with Bomber command England (WW2)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast