Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Google Book Search Treasure Hunt

This is a competition for everyone, Bo Peep and Moderators included. The purpose is to make people aware of just what is available on Google Book Search

https://books.google.com/

and give people tips on how to narrow down the searches. Google Book Search will come up with hits that will not show on a simple Google search.

I have therefore made the questions fairly easy and given hints.
    Newbies might like to read the thread at https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=21015
    The tips for searching Google hold good for Google Book Search.

The prize is a book I came across in a book sale. It is a paperback entitled "Google Hacks - Tips & Tools for Finding and Using the World's Information" by Rael Dornfest, Paul Bausch and Tara Calishain.

The real prize, though, is that everyone gets to see just how much information is available for free. Don't be put off by the fact that many of the questions refer to early records. I have focused on publications where the whole book is available on-line, and pre 1837 information is generally more difficult to track down. Modern books tend to be still under copyright, but occasionally a tantalising 'snippet view' is given - often enough to give you that breakthrough.

Recent competitions have been run over quite a long period. I think that sometimes people think they have plenty of time and put it to one side. You therefore have one week to find the answers and send them to me by Private Message (by clicking on my user name).

Entries close at midnight UK time on Wednesday 21 May.

In the event of a tie, the entrant who gives me the most facts about Arthur Gilstain (1786-1858), using any search engine or free on-line resource, will be declared the winner. You will find that most of the information about him on the Net has been written by me, but I live in hopes that someone will find something I haven't looked at

Here are the Questions

1. In the "Universal Magazine" of 1809, whose obituary states that he left £360,000 to Mr. Fish of Greville Street, Hatton-Garden? How much did he leave in total and how did he make his fortune?

2. Give three other years for which the whole edition of the "Universal Magazine" may be viewed.

[HINT] When you have found the answer to No.1, scroll down the options on the right hand side of the page.

3. According to "The Annual Register" for 1824, who married Hannah Darling in 1820 and why did he later bring an action in the Court of Common Pleas, Dublin?

4. In the will of John Pepys of Cottenham published in "The Topographer and Genealogist", who were the witnesses?

[HINT] By typing in "Last will and testament" subject:"Genealogy" you will focus in on actual wills.

5. According to "Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry" for 1847, what were the full names of the children of General Benedict Arnold and Margaret Shippen, who married on 8 April 1779?

6. If you press Advanced Search, highlight "Full View Only" and insert "Genealogy" into the Subject Box with English ticked as the language, which publication comes up that might be of special interest to someone researching in Essex?

7. Name three marriages announced in the "Gentleman's Magazine" that took place on 1st September 1831.

[HINT] In Advanced Search mark the publication date as 1831 and the Title as the Gentleman's Magazine. Then use the Search in this Book Button on the right of the screen to find marriages.

8. Name one of the aliases of James Hill, who was tried on 6 March 1777 for wilfully setting fire to the King's Rope House at Portsmouth, and where did the trial take place?

9. In "The Battle of Waterloo" with "General Returns of Killed and Wounded" and a "List of Waterloo Honours" (published 1815 and printed for J. Booth) on which page does the alphabetical list of those killed or wounded between June 16th and June 26th start?

10. On 26th July 1854, where did Hester Anne Copeman, youngest daughter of Edward Copeman of Coltishall in Norfolk, marry A.L.G. Campbell?

Good luck, and apologies if you get distracted!!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Have had my first entry, accompanied by the following quote:

Thanks Sue, That was fun, but it took me ALL day - (course I also searched for a whole bunch of unrelated stuff )
    That fulfils the criteria nicely. Fun to do, but leading on to other things....

Do have a go.
    Sue Mackay

Entries so far only from the USA and Australia. It is forecast to be a wet and horrible day tomorrow, so UK members can spend their Saturday morning searching for answers instead of gardening!

Latest comment on an entry

Hi Sue, that was heaps of fun! couldn't resist anything to do with books. Had not realized that google books did not come up in an ordinary search on google.
    Sue Mackay

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    It is forecast to be a wet and horrible day tomorrow, so UK members can spend their Saturday morning searching for answers instead of gardening!
    As the damp weather is meant to last all weekend in this part of our sceptred isle, guess what I'll be doing on Sunday, then

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    As the damp weather is meant to last all weekend in this part of our sceptred isle, guess what I'll be doing on Sunday, then
    OK, so the weather improved, but there's nothing much on the box tonight...

Latest quote on an entry form

Excellent Competition. I really enjoyed that. Thank you
    Entries close midnight on Wednesday to allow me to post the answers/winner before going off on my travels over Whitsun.
    Sue Mackay

Knowledgeable and helpful

OOOOh thank you Sue! I've found the answers today (ok I admit it I am very fond of googling and diving deep into interesting things ) and now am working on your Arthur Gilstain. It is definately definately a case of staying on track...I have added loads of bookmarks to my PC for later perusal!

I have to stop now but hopefully I'll get back to it tomorrow and ...hopefully there'll be a reminder that the deadlines Wednesday?

Browneyes

Quote Originally Posted by Browneyes View Post
    hopefully there'll be a reminder that the deadlines Wednesday?
    I've told the computer to remind me to remind you! Glad you found lots of interest.
    Sue Mackay

Thanks Sue

Just a reminder that the deadline is midnight tomorrow. I await your entry Browneyes!
    Sue Mackay

Thankyou! Off to opticians first then dinner then bit of paperwork for hubby then yes! I'll get it done! Including Mr Gilstain bit...amazing how many times it suggested I look at Gilstein!!

Browneyes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast