Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default The Answers

OK, midnight has struck and here are the answers:

1. In the "Universal Magazine" of 1809, whose obituary states that he left £360,000 to Mr. Fish of Greville Street, Hatton-Garden? How much did he leave in total and how did he make his fortune?
    T. Hill of Whitton, powder mill proprietor. £800,000. Trading gunpowder with Turkey.
    (Browneyes found a website which suggests he actually left more money than this - see https://www.botlhs.co.uk/whittonhist05.htm)

2. Give three other years for which the whole edition of the "Universal Magazine" may be viewed.
    Any three from 1749, 1751, 1792, 1793, 1794, 1795, 1796, 1806, 1807, 1808
    Note that if you searched for Mr. Fish of Greville Street without entering "Universal Magazine" you may have found an identical entry in the Gentleman's Magazine, but then clicking the 'Other editions' option on the right would have given you the wrong information.

3. According to "The Annual Register" for 1824, who married Hannah Darling in 1820 and why did he later bring an action in the Court of Common Pleas, Dublin?
    Mr Cuthbert
    Action for deceit. Wife had been represented as chaste and virtuous but in fact was pregnant by the defendant, Mr Browne.

Question 3 proved to be the killer (not intentionally!). The answer did depend on one's knowing the meaning of the word 'plaintiff', and the actual article I sent you to only says that his name was CUTHBERT, so "Mr. Cuthbert" or just Cuthbert would have been accepted as correct. Many of you tried to follow the Christian names mentioned in the text and got horribly confused (brothers of both the plaintiff and the defendant were mentioned). I have confirmed on the IGI that Charles CUTHBERT married Hannah DARLING in April 1820. From careful reading of the case report I think I have worked out the relationships. In 1816 Charles CUTHBERT's sister had married Archibald BROWNE, brother of the defendant in the case. The defendant, John BROWNE, was married at the time to Hannah DARLING's sister, by whom he had several children. He was also apparently having it away with Hannah, and made her pregnant, but as he obviously couldn't marry her he palmed her off on Charles CUTHBERT, whose sister had married his brother. (Still with me? ) The IGI has the marriage of John Henry BROWNE to Elizabeth DARLING on 15 July 1816 in Dublin. Further proof that it was CUTHBERT and not BROWNE who was the plaintiff in the case (and married Hannah DARLING) was the evidence of his brother, William CUTHBERT. You can just imagine what the News of the World would have made of it all today!! Charles Cuthbert was awarded £800 damages.

4.In the will of John Pepys of Cottenham published in "The Topographer and Genealogist", who were the witnesses?
    Richard Bollter
    Thomas Watts
    Robert Wade
    John Blithe, Vicar of Impington

5. According to "Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry" for 1847, what were the full names of the children of General Benedict Arnold and Margaret Shippen, who married on 8 April 1779?
    Edward Shippen
    James Robertson
    George
    William Fitch
    Sophia Matilda

6. If you press Advanced Search, highlight "Full View Only" and insert "Genealogy" into the Subject Box with English ticked as the language, which publication comes up that might be of special interest to someone researching in Essex or Hertfordshire?
    Turned out to be a dud question and I accepted all suitable answers. The expected answer was 'Transactions of the Essex Archeological Society' but later entries mostly had 'The Historical Antiquities of Hertfordshire'

7. Name three marriages announced in the "Gentleman's Magazine" that took place on 1st September 1831.
    Captain H.J. Hatton m Josephine Louise Lavoley
    R. Hodder m Caroline Pryce
    Edmund Filmer m Helen Monro

8. Name one of the aliases of James Hill, who was tried on 6 March 1777 for wilfully setting fire to the King's Rope House at Portsmouth, and where did the trial take place?
    Aliases: James Hinde, James Azzen, James Aitken, John the Painter
    Winchester Assizes

9. In "The Battle of Waterloo" with "General Returns of Killed and Wounded" and a "List of Waterloo Honours" (published 1815 and Printed for J. Booth) on which page does the alphabetical list of those killed or wounded between June 16th and June 26th start?
    Page 81

10. On 26th July 1854, where did Hester Anne Copeman, youngest daughter of Edward Copeman of Coltishall in Norfolk, marry A.L.G. Campbell?
    Motueka, New Zealand
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Default And the winner is...

Well in the end it wasn't such a hard competition to judge. Actually no-one got 100% on the questions. As I said, the "Mr.Cuthbert" question caused the most problems - Mutley was the only person to get that right, but she made another error. I was lenient with those who knew the plaintiff was Cuthbert rather than Browne but called him John or William.

Anyway, the judge has decided and she declares all the entrants are winners, as they entered and hopefully enjoyed themselves and found it interesting, but the prize goes to....

DAVRAN

Her entry was almost 100%. Also only four of the entrants included tie-breaker information, and of those Davran's effort was far and away the best. She didn't fall into the trap of giving me information on another Arthur who was actually a son (that's why I gave you the dates).

This is how much Davran managed to find out in a very short space of time about one of my relatives she knew nothing about. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

ARTHUR GILSTAIN:
    Sue Mackay’s 3x ggrandfather!
    Born in Londonderry 1786, son of a soldier in 49th Regiment of Foot. Enlisted at the age of 10 in Jamaica. Served with the 49th until May 1826 when stationed at the Cape of Good Hope, then remained in South Africa as Clerk to the Deputy Quarter Master General at Cape Town Castle. A great friend of Sir Harry Smith, who was godfather to his son. He attained the rank of Quarter Master Sergeant.
    5’4" tall, black hair and hazel eyes.
    Married Frances Mahoney in Cork, Ireland in 1818. Children Arthur, Frances, Edmund William and Henry.
    Awarded medal for battle of Chrysler’s Farm, Canada 1813
    In 1854 he was granted retirement allowance of 5s 3d per day, which was paid until his death 11/11/1858
    Please PM me with your postal address Davran, so that I can send you your prize. I'm sure we will all benefit anyway, because I know that if you find any really good Google searching tips in the book you will share them with us all.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 22-05-2008 at 7:32 AM. Reason: typo
    Sue Mackay

Mutley

CONGRATULATIONS

Jan1954

CONGRATULATIONS TO DAVRAN!

AnnB

Congratulations Davran.

I managed to do most of it but I had a bit of a hectic week and so had to give up. Good competition though Sue - have a lovely holiday.

Best wishes
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by AnnB View Post
    Good competition though Sue - have a lovely holiday.
    Not exactly a holiday. Every Whitsun I travel to Brighton for four days with the Glamorgan team for the Inter County Croquet Championships. I'll be driving home on Tuesday, printing labels for the GFHS journal on Wednesday, stuffing and labelling said journals on Thursday, then getting the train to Scotland on Friday for a schoolfriends' reunion on Saturday 31st. Who said retirement was relaxing? Never mind, I have a proper holiday in July to look forward to!
    Sue Mackay

tarragon

Congratulations Davran.

Very interesting competition. I have seen the Powder Mill in Whitton which is in the middle of park now. I pass by Powder Mill Lane, Whitton every day and this competition certainly has added to my knowledge of the local area.
    Last edited by tarragon; 22-05-2008 at 7:53 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

busyglen

Well done Davran!

Glenys

busyglen

Hope you enjoy your break Sue..and thanks for a great competition.

Glenys

Knowledgeable and helpful

Well done Davran!

Definately took some working out!

Browneyes x

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast