Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dawn Tolson

Default Electoral Roll 102 City Road, Holborn

Does anyone by any chance have access to an electoral roll for 1924/5 for the above address? I am trying to find out if this was a private dwelling or part of a hospital?

Thanks Dawn

Mutley

Sorry I do not have the electorial roll for 1924 though I do think it was a maternity hospital.
    You may find some help here
    https://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/searc...976&inst_id=23

Tederator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Sorry I do not have the electorial roll for 1924 though I do it was a maternity hospital.
    You may find some help here
    https://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/searc...976&inst_id=23
    Hey, that was the hospital I was born in,it shows clearly on my birth certificate 102 City Road, it must have been a maternity hospital, don't know much about the place though, I was quite young at the time you see. Thanks for putting that link up Mutley, I'll have a read through that sometime. Does Dawn have any historical connection with the hospital.

All the best

Ted.
    Last edited by Tederator; 13-05-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: inserted one word

Reputation beyond repute

102 City Road was the City Lying-in Hospital.

Tederator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    102 City Road was the City Lying-in Hospital.

Lying-in wait, so to speak.

Dawn Tolson

Thanks everyone - My grandmother gave birth to my aunt there. My story is quite a complicated one where whilst compiling the family tree I found out that my grandmother gave birth to a daughter Winifred that no-one knows anything about and that my mothers father (who died supposedly!) before my mother was born had infact died 3 months before Winifred was born. Life between the wars was certainly complicated !! So now I am left trying to explain all this to my mother!

Dawn

Reputation beyond repute

City of London Lying In Hospital, City Road, Finsbury (H10/CLM)

Also for married women only, this was founded in 1750 in Aldersgate Street in the City of London and moved to City Road in the parish of St Luke, Old Street in 1773. It was renamed the City of London Maternity Hospital in 1918.

After part of the building was destroyed by bombing in 1940-1941, the hospital moved to Hanley Road, Islington. It closed in 1983.

Records deposited in London Metropolitan Archives include:-

Inpatients’ admission registers 1750-1769, 1861-1948
    Baptism registers 1813-1978
    Out-patients’ admission registers 1872-1953

Tederator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    City of London Lying In Hospital, City Road, Finsbury (H10/CLM)

the hospital moved to Hanley Road, Islington. It closed in 1983.

Records deposited in London Metropolitan Archives include:-

Inpatients’ admission registers 1750-1769, 1861-1948
    Baptism registers 1813-1978
    Out-patients’ admission registers 1872-1953
    Yes this is the hospital I was born in.
    This is certainly bringing back some memories for me, this area of London was the area I lived in as a kid. My Grandparents lived in Grenville Road, the next road along from Hanley Road up Hornsey Road, I spent some time in the Highgate Hill Hospital as a kid, and we lived down near the old Caledonian Market, in fact I learnt to tell the time on the old clock tower (still there) which was amazing because the numbers were in Roman numerals. Excuse me for raving on, but memories get the better of me.

Cheers

Ted.

zippy1

Hi
    I've just been on the 'Parishmouse' website looking for something else entirely and came across a reference to the above mentioned Lying-In Hospital. I think it is a bit before your time period request but it will give you a bit more info about the place....
    Hope this is of some help...
    Rachel

players

Default 102 city road

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Tolson View Post
    Thanks everyone - My grandmother gave birth to my aunt there. My story is quite a complicated one where whilst compiling the family tree I found out that my grandmother gave birth to a daughter Winifred that no-one knows anything about and that my mothers father (who died supposedly!) before my mother was born had infact died 3 months before Winifred was born. Life between the wars was certainly complicated !! So now I am left trying to explain all this to my mother!

Dawn
    I was also born at 102 on 7.7.1934 and have found a image of a rather grand building on multimap`s birds eye view.Does anyone know what the building is now used for ,or how do I find out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast