Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Reputation beyond repute

Can you be more explicit about what you've seen?

82-100 City Road is Transworld House (offices)
    104-122 City Road is Imperial Hall (luxury apartments)

I can't locate a present-day 102 .

If you manoeuvre Multimap so that you're looking westwards towards the Old Street/City Road roundabout, the red brick building to the north of the junction is Imperial Hall. The site of the hospital is just south of the roundabout, where the nondescript office/commercial block now stands.

Reputation beyond repute

If we press the superzoom button , we get...

That's the west side of City Road looking north. The Old Street roundabout is just beyond the bus stop.

That must be pretty much the site of the hospital.

players

Default 102 city road.

Thank you Peter,your reply, although dissapointing (there is no such address
    or building now),is just what I needed to know .Regards Players.

Default City of London Lying In Hospital, Finsbury

Hi, trying to find out more about the City of London Lying in Hospital in City Road, Finsbury. I read that it was for married women only - but my grandmother had my mother there in 1932 and she as far as I know, was single. Is there anywhere I can get more information on the hospital in this era or look up patient records for that time? Even just some information as to whether or not it was still strictly for married pregnant women or not in 1932? If so, I wonder how my grandmother could have been allowed to be in there.

Hope someone can advise. Thank you!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmoonrider View Post
    Hi, trying to find out more about the City of London Lying in Hospital in City Road, Finsbury. I read that it was for married women only - but my grandmother had my mother there in 1932 and she as far as I know, was single. Is there anywhere I can get more information on the hospital in this era or look up patient records for that time? Even just some information as to whether or not it was still strictly for married pregnant women or not in 1932? If so, I wonder how my grandmother could have been allowed to be in there.

Hope someone can advise. Thank you!
    Scroll up the page to post #7 for details about some of the records held at the London Metropolitan Archives.

Also post #6 in this thread.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ng-in+hospital

Pam.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

thanks Pam, I read that but there doesn't seem to be any information on how to access these records; I read elsewhere that the hospital's archives were at Whittington Hospital wherever that is. But again, no information on how to get in touch. I am puzzled that it says it was for married women only but not sure if that had changed by the time my grandmother was in there - not seen any reference to it having changed though.

I now see that by 1932 the name was City of London Maternity Hospital so presumably by then they allowed single women in - I did see a reference to the rules being relaxed so as to do that, a lot earlier. Maybe that answers my question.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The records referred to in the posts are as I said, and as is said in the posts, held at the London Metropolitan Archives, so that's where you need to go to access them.

Whittington Hospital is in Magdala Avenue, London N19.

p.s. You might have been typing a reply while I was adding the second link in post #15. If you haven't seen it, read the last line.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Of course, this thread is 10 years, and the London Metropolitan Archives may not have been on line when Peter wrote the post that Pam referred to. However, GENUKI.org now tells us that their website is HERE.

Also, if a woman arrived on their doorstep in labour, I doubt whether they'd check too hard whether her claim to be married/widowed was true.

Thanks Pam and Lesley - much appreciated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12