Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    manxy1

Arrow Wade's from the Isle of Man

I am researching the surname Wade from the Isle of Man.

I live on the island and have taken up the unusual hobby of visiting and photographing graves linked to the Wade's.

My lists of information of births, deaths and marriages are steadily increasing, especially pre 1881 and would like to hear from anyone with anything related to the 'Manx' Wade's
    Thanks, Paul Wade

Jan1954

Hello Paul and welcome to Brit-Gen

What an excellent idea. I am certain that your hobby will be very helpful to anyone else who is researching Manx Wades.

Have a good look round the forum and post any questions on the appropriate boards.

Have fun,

apehangmom

Default Isle of man... your going to be some ones life saver some day

Wade.. I think that what your doing is great.. Your helping future generations.. and possibly documenting thngs that could be lost forever..especially gravestone documentation. DO you photograph them? great thing your doing. christine

marriner69

Default Wade's from the Isle of Man

Wow! That's fantastic! Nice work!

I have kinda the same creepy hobby as well. I'm a photographer and I usually do all my photo shoots in grave yards. Though here, in Wilmington, NC USA, I am not related to any of them. Being that I am what is referred to in the Southland as a "Damned Yankee" as I am from New England (Maine to be exact). I do love the Southern history, and the old pre-Civil War cemeteries down here are outstanding! Old Blue-Blood money buys you lots of gaudy statues and such

Though I am so inspired by your work, I think I may have to start photographing the headstone now, it is a great way to help people find their family history.

My maternal grandmother is(was) from the Isle of Man and I'm telling ya, I cannot track her down as I do not know her father's first name, only his last Christian and then I don't know her mother's maiden name....It's been a wicked bummer. I'm to the point where I'll have to go to the Isle of Man and visit the cemetery she's buried in to find my answers. She lived in the US for years but never became a citizen(I think she may have had some unresolved issues about WWll, as she always called us "The Bloody Americans"). Anyway, at the end of her days she went home and a few months she died. I wish I hadn't been so young as I might have asked more questions and not be in this mess. Ah well, live and learn. But, best of luck to you and welcome. The people on this site are really helpful and good at what they do Cheers, Lisa

manxy1

Quote Originally Posted by marriner69 View Post

I have kinda the same creepy hobby as well. I'm a photographer and I usually do all my photo shoots in grave yards. Though here, in Wilmington, NC USA, I am not related to any of them. Being that I am what is referred to in the Southland as a "Damned Yankee" as I am from New England (Maine to be exact). I do love the Southern history, and the old pre-Civil War cemeteries down here are outstanding! Old Blue-Blood money buys you lots of gaudy statues and such

Though I am so inspired by your work, I think I may have to start photographing the headstone now, it is a great way to help people find their family history.

My maternal grandmother is(was) from the Isle of Man and I'm telling ya, I cannot track her down as I do not know her father's first name, only his last Christian and then I don't know her mother's maiden name....It's been a wicked bummer. I'm to the point where I'll have to go to the Isle of Man and visit the cemetery she's buried in to find my answers. She lived in the US for years but never became a citizen(I think she may have had some unresolved issues about WWll, as she always called us "The Bloody Americans"). Anyway, at the end of her days she went home and a few months she died. I wish I hadn't been so young as I might have asked more questions and not be in this mess. Ah well, live and learn. But, best of luck to you and welcome. The people on this site are really helpful and good at what they do Cheers, Lisa
    The surname Christian is linked to my own, as are all the Manx surnames and some of the more famous Christians were Fletcher Christian (see Mutiny on the Bounty) and also linked to his schoolfriend William Wordsworth the poet (I did hear that Wordsworth was romantically linked to the Christians, but cannot confirm this as this was hearsay and I won't be following this up)
    My own tree includes the following Christians:
    Ann 1796, Anne 1738, Catherine 1815, Mary 1827, Robert 1733, William 1818, William 1844

As regards your grandmother, send me a private message with as many details as you can including (if you can) the parish she lived in. If I find time and have enough to go on, I'll see what I can do for you.

Gravestones are extremely important to me, as they usually have additional information including others who are buried in the same plot.
    Paul

manxy1

Please also note some other Manx links

https://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/

https://www.isleofman.com/Community/Genealogy.aspx

I've also included the Ellan Vannin song (below) which is the unofficial but accepted Manx song which was sung by the Bee Gees who were also Manx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3O6gv64WSM

Slaynt vie! (good health)
    Paul

manxy1

Quote Originally Posted by marriner69 View Post

***With reference to Lisa's dilemma: having recently joined the Manx Family History Society, I trawled through various Parish records and also the inscriptions of her relations gravestones with some unusual findings, that opened up and unlocked many secrets.
    Glad I could be of assistance Lisa and good luck with your research

apehangmom

Default wades from the ISLE OF MAN !

Has any one who has taken photos of graves caught more than a grave. ( I have which has also given me an alternative hobbie. ) Lisa If you ever travel down I-75 in portitions of Georgia and Tenn. There are conferderate and Union burials all over. I was almost hysterical when I saw a mixed graveyard in Georgia.I was on a vacation with my husband and kids who didnt want to stop... YOU almost HAVE to look everywhere .. especially when you are in a civil war fighting area.. the graveyard was behind a gas station all over grown. I was really almost in tears when I finally rode up and realized I couldnt get in... it was sad because the history is being lost a a quick rate. I realize that civil war graveyards may not have the city or county funds to take care of the graveyards.. But its so sad.. because of the state of the graveyard.. But that is annother post.. how to crusade to save dying grave yard.. But I do feel that the oldest ones are in danger.. The ones in Boston and the Cape and Marthas vineyard.. But like I said that is another post.. and I think taking photos of the graves is priceless to us genealogy folk. thanks chris

marriner69

Default Wade's from the Isle of Man

Well, I've never had a ghost appear in my photos....but how cool would that be? Though I've had a blast photoshopping my work in the bone yards! Making them haunting, or down right terrifying They certainly invoke feelings of the Old South. A sort of "Gone with the Wind" feel.

I agree about the lack of care the Civil War graves get. I'm a Yankee by birth but have lived in the south for well over a decade now. It's interesting to see the Civil War through the eyes of "The other-side" and to understand how different our view's are still, some 135 years later.

Whereas the North doesn't think much on that war, we won they lost, end of story. It's not the same for the Southern; to them, in many ways, its not over. But, I guess that old saying is true: History is written by the victors. Up in New England, you just don't see a lot about the War between the States, our claim to fame is the Revolutionary War, but here it's so different. Here (in Wilmington anyway) we still have larger than life statues of Confederate soldiers, in one of the older cemeteries, they have a mass grave (some 450 plus ) unknown Confederate dead with a big ol' soldier standing guard over them. They were lost in the battle of Fort Fisher, (down the road a bit) in one of the later battles of the war. Within 20 miles of here, there are 8 battle fields which I must say, are well maintained. It's haunting to wonder around them and think how brother fought against brother and for what? Nothing, if you ask me.

I've got some really great pictures of these places, maybe I'll post them? Then y'all across the pond could see that we have some culture and haven't torn down all our history...yet

Chris, I'd love to see your Civil War grave stones! You should post them as well

apehangmom

Default Wade's from the ISle of man...

Well Lisa .. Sadly I dont have enough grave photos to post. I have mostly ( LOL ) BOston , revolutionary graves and cape cod graves.. lol. The grave yard photos I do have are paranormal related and not geneaology.. which one hobbie led to the next. I was taking photos of my familys graves and wallah a ghostly apparition appeared in 5 photos. SOOOOO that led me spiltting my time between the two hobbies. But one fuels the other. Because it helps to know the history and genealogy of the people and who is possibly "HAUNTING" a home.. So they play into each other. But Lisa ,, being that I live inthe 'Pretend " south.. I do not see the southern sentiment.. lol I see a little but not as much as living in the real south. .. Georgia Alabama .( when I trave to tenn and ky and georgia.. I soo get it. .. But I get what you mean.. Being from OHIO .. there is a differnt view of things in the south. WE won and ah .. that is what happened. But driving through Georgia to ohio .. with my parents and small kids 10 years ago.. the civil war graveyards were scattered.. But no pretty flowere or fences.. just bramble and thorns and tall grass. It broke my heart. literally.. I will never forget it. But the whole civil war path is literally littered with graves.. and some are not marked. SOme one ( PBS DOCUMENTARY) is doing a study on this topic and they are using the new technology where you roll the radar across the ground.. DO you rememebr hearing about this man who did a bunch of digging in and around some conferderate and Union and he ended up with a ( god this kills me to say it but we need to realize people do this,,, and preserve our history but not in this manner. He had a union solider .. in his office. But the solider was of slave decent. this was all over the internet.. his friends didnt want to get him in trouble.. He made alot of progress for civil war sites But did it on his own terms.. not officially.. but that is weird and disrespectful) well this guy supposivly plundered the records in the federal government archives. I am clouded as to the whole story ).. BUt some one from the government is trying to save a large area of undiscoverd or rather unmarked graves from the South and Union. theres about 3, 000 total . I will get more to you when I hear more but you will hear probably when I do.. lol thanks chris
    Last edited by apehangmom; 27-05-2008 at 2:49 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast