Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    BeeE586

Almost all of what has been written is true of one Society or another - some good, some bad; some friendly some not and on the whole I think I have been lucky over the thirty odd years that I have been researching in meeting only the friendly sort. I still belong to three and must agree with what has been said about the value of the quarterly journal and the lists of Members' Interests now that I can no longer attend meetings.

From reading posts on the Forum it is obvious that not everything is to be found on the net. BMD's and census OK, but anything earlier you need registers, wills and other documents and very many have been transcribed and published by Societies, and it is often funds from these sales that help to keep the Societies running and continuing with the work that they do.

My suggestion would be to find the websites of societies in your areas of interest and see what they have to offer, then perhaps contact them with brief details of your own findings and see how you go. It may be that you have information that would be valuable to another member. Some do publish lists of members' interests on their sites which could also be useful.

Take the plunge - I don't think you would regret it

Eileen

The plunderers usually complain about the quality of transcription while they are plundering. They also TUT loudly if the particular records that they want to search haven't yet been transcribed and then mutter darkly that "I suppose I'll have to go to the record office because none of this is on the internet you know!"

people who join to learn more are a different type of researcher. They might not have the time to transcribe but they are always ready to learn and to help others as well.

99% of the people in FH societies are great. They want to learn they want to help and they love to talk to new people just incase they are related.

I have no ancestors where I live but I have been a member of the local society for 15 years now because this is one of the ways I can pay back all the help I have received from all over the world. The other way is to be a part of this forum and try to help a bit on here.

This forum is exactly what an online FH Society should be like.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

BeeE586

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post

This forum is exactly what an online FH Society should be like.
    Very true.

Eileen

mandychap17@hot

Question Glamorgan FHS

I have joined this society but dont know what help I can get from them. Can I request that someone looks up a marriage record at St Gladys Church in Bargoed or information on people who lived there.
    Thanks
    Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by mandychap17@hot View Post
    I have joined this society but dont know what help I can get from them. Can I request that someone looks up a marriage record at St Gladys Church in Bargoed or information on people who lived there.
    Thanks
    Mandy
    Glamorgan FHS do free lookups for members in their published indexes of parish registers etc, print free requests for help/information in their quarterly journal, and run an internet mailing list for members. Send me a private message if you need more details.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

janbooth

Default FHS etc

My experiences have been totally different to that of yours Fidget. Everywhere we have visited researching our various family histories be it Record Offices, local Family History Societies, Churches, Churchyards and LDS Family History Centres we have been welcomed, helped and (when we were very green and new) pointed in the correct direction!! I'd like to think your experience is definitely the exception rather than the rule, so please don't let it put you off. I have also made many new friends, who are researching the same families as myself, due to Forums and Mailing Lists and let's face it all of us are plunderers to some extent. I hope if you do eventually decide to join a different Society your experience will also be completely different!!

Janet

mandychap17@hot

Thanks very much for your reply. I am trying to find my partners family. His Grandfather was John Gough who married Emily Roberts at St Gladwys in Bargoed in 1912. His father was George James Gough. Apart from the marriage and the address of Park Place Bargoed I cannot find any more info. No birth or death date although the marriage certificate says he was 25 years old in 1912. I wrote to the church but didnt get any reply.
    Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks again
    Mandy

Feen

Hello Fidgetsmum, what a pity about the rude unfriendly people... you did say one person was very nice and interesting though..... is it worth speaking to the folks who run this society about your experience, and maybe reconsidering your decision not to join?

I'm very new to family history research and I do hope I don't provoke unfriendly reactions. I've just applied to join the East Ayrshire Family History Society, as that's where the ancestors I'm interested in originated. I'm also keen to see if there are any distant relatives of mine in the area who might have some info... and of course I may have some that would be of interest to them too - if indeed, they turn out to exist AND have an interest in family history!

Does anyone on here have experience of this particular FHS?

Feen

SBSFamilyhistory

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    A few weeks back I went to Winnipeg's main library and plundered a huge amount of information. Not content with one raid, I later visited the museum and came away with a wealth of free info.

Free to me, but put together at a huge cost by people with slightly more foresight.

No apologies for putting folks noses out of joint but I am fed up of hearing the bleatings of FH Societies.

Anyone interested in our own genealogy, collected over hundred's of hours, maybe thousands and at a cost of which I care little ?

It can been all seen for free at

www.members.shaw.ca/psmail
    Sorry I didn't know that you were in Winnipeg. I have a distant relation who lives there. he is a retired college principal, Donald McKinnion. Sue,,

ash33au

I was actually given a holiday by our State Library in 1995 after I had the audacity to complain. I found that the old people pushed me out of the way a lot and made comments about me not belonging in the Genie room because I was young (20yo) and had no right to be researching my ancestry. I also found that i would wait at the help desk forever without being served, yet an old person would walk right up, push past me and get served. When I left a complaint notice in the suggestion box, I got an abusive phone call and a 3 month holiday. That was back in the microfiche days and it was a small little room.

Now it's much bigger and a lot more accessible. I've found the staff there are great - particulalrly the male staff who go out of their way to help me. I've also found 50/50 spread of friendly helpful researchers and those who still don't think I belong there - especially as I almost always take my 2yo son in his pram. Someone actually made the comment that he shouldn't be there to which I replied "It's his family I'm researching..." which actually hit the spot because a few other fellows congratulated me on taking an interest in my family history and for standing my ground.

The PRO is also a favourite place of mine these days. The staff are excellent and help out no matter what. One lady offered to show me some easier ways to do broader searches and offered to go through a microfilm for me whilst I was looking at the computer.

HOWEVER the best place I have found in all my years of researching is this very forum
    Christine, Doug and Michael are always quick to help out - particularly Christine who has nearly all the answers that I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast