Jessica1877

Default William Dyke (1784-1842) served with the 44th somersetshire regiment of foot c.1805

Hello,

I wonder if any one knows of any records of a William Dyke of Shepton Mallet who was in the Napolionic wars from 1805 till he was discharged (wounded) and became a Chelsea out patient. (census 1841)

He is a great great etc, ancestor of mine. Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bye for now

Jessica S Fox

bumblebee

He is listed on the National Archives site, so you should be able to get his records. (William Dyke, born Shepton Mallet, Somerset, Served in 40th Foot Regiment
    Discharged aged 37) If this is him you can request an estimate for a paper or pdf copy.

Bumblebee

Jessica1877

Default Thanks

Dear Bumblebee,

Thanks for the info but I did already know about this record, I just but haven't got round to viewing it. (I'm based in London so I just need to make the effort one day to go to Kew!)

What I'm hoping to find is if there's any additional information out there and such like.

Thanks again

Take care

Bye for now

Jess

Reputation beyond repute

As Bumblebee says, you can order his discharge papers remotely.

You may be pleasantly surprised how much information they contain (on the other hand you may be disappointed )

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica1877
    Thanks for the info but I did already know about this record, I just but haven't got round to viewing it. (I'm based in London so I just need to make the effort one day to go to Kew!). What I'm hoping to find is if there's any additional information out there and such like.
    There's lots of information available, but you need to take the first step and get the record mentioned. Without that it seems pointless considering options as to what would be the best second step.