Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merchant Navy

stephvincent

Smile Merchant Navy

Hi I'm trying to find out whether there are journals or lists documenting the places and people that were on particular Merchant Navy boats, trying to find my grandfather.
    I expect he'll probably have died by now, but my mother may have brothers and sisters out there, who if there are I'm trying to locate as a suprise.
    I have been told by my great aunts that he left on Merchant navy boat serving as a chef, between Jan 1952 and October 1952 they believe the ship was destined for New Zealand but cant be completely sure. Does anyone have any advice? His name was Joseph Muir and he was a Scotsman.
    Thanks
    Steph
    xxxxxx

IanStockbridge

The Registrar of Shipping and Seamen had envelopes for each person who sailed on Merchant ships giving extracts from their discharge book. This was a record of every ship the person sailed on, rank and dates.

I belive that these were sent to the PRO at Kew a few years back. Contact them with name, date of birth etc. and they may be able to send you a copy.

Alternatively someone in the family may still have his discharge book which will contain the informaqtion you require. If you get the information from either source then contact me and I can tell you more details about the ship, its company and likely routes.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by IanStockbridge
    The Registrar of Shipping and Seamen had envelopes for each person who sailed on Merchant ships giving extracts from their discharge book. This was a record of every ship the person sailed on, rank and dates.

I belive that these were sent to the PRO at Kew a few years back. Contact them with name, date of birth etc. and they may be able to send you a copy.

The Seamen's Pouches up to 1972 are individually indexed on TNA's catalogue

In the word or phrase field, enter a surname
    Leave the years blank
    In the department or series code, enter BT372

Hit search and see what comes up. If you find a likely entry, you can order a copy from TNA, who can even send it along digitally.

stephvincent

Smile

Thank you very much for all your help. I have been on the National Archives website following your advice. I was wondering what the dates next to each name stood for?Is it a date of birth? A sailing date, a date they joined? I'm not sure so hope you can help!Thanks again for the replies!!
    Stephanie
    xxx

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by stephvincent
    I have been on the National Archives website following your advice. I was wondering what the dates next to each name stood for?Is it a date of birth?
    They are dates of birth

brianb

Hi

an interesting link.

Have found a distant relation there, any idea on likely costs for requesting the details (the price list on the site is understandable, except I have no idea how many pages etc such info would take, he was a long time sailor !)

Obviously can ask them tomorrow, but just wondered.

Cheers

Brian

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by brianb
    Have found a distant relation there, any idea on likely costs for requesting the details (the price list on the site is understandable, except I have no idea how many pages etc such info would take, he was a long time sailor !)
    If you apply for a copy of a file, TNA will send you a quote. It depends on the size of a file.

Melissa

Default Ships2 NZ

Hi Step, I went to ancestorsonboard and search for Joseph Muir. There is only 1 J Muir entering New Zealand between 1950 and 1953.

MUIR J W 1926 M 1953 Glasgow New Zealand New Zealand

If his middle name starts with a W and he was born in 1926 this could be him?

Mel
    Last edited by Procat; 01-08-2008 at 9:29 AM. Reason: Link to commercial site removed

brianb

any idea on likely costs

Cost is £10 for 2 A3 colour copies, looking up other names before I purchase.

Just thought someone may want to know.

Brian

stephvincent

Hi Mel,
    Thanks very much, that could be him, unfortunately we have no info on him other than his forename and surname, that he was scottish and part of merchant navy and left roughly then to go to New Zealand and apparently he was chef. I hae no idea of date of birth or his middle name or where born, bit rubbish really and unforunately my nan died 11 years ago, and her sisters either don't remember or are keeping quiet!!
    Thanks to everyone else aswell!!
    Steph
    xxxxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast