Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jen Green

Default Johanna Louisa Wilhelmine Bretag

Wondering if any there are any descendants of Johanna Louisa Wilhelmine Bretag in Australia, she arrived with her family on the La Rochelle in 1855.
    Johanna was born about 1850.
    She was a sister to my great grandmother Ernistine Johanna Christine Bretag.
    I have a copy of a document which may be of interest to to her descendants.
    Would also love some family history of her family.

Jen Green

Hi Jen
    So is yours one of the many references that come up when I type "bretag in Australia" in to google? I thought I had found a mine of info for you then looked to see where you were - Australia! Anything I could refer you to probably originated with you
    Christina

Jen Green

Hi Christine,

Wondering if you are a descendant of the Bretag's in NSW? I do have some info from these families. Have contact with a Bretag who lives in or nr Sydney.

Some of the info which I put out there years ago is now updated.

Jen Green

Hi Jen
    No, not related to the Bretags in Oz or anywhere else. I just saw your post and thought it looked more interesting than banging my head against a brick wall with some of my lot. So I took a look around to see what I could find. Which doesn't help you at all. Good luck with it all.
    Christina

Jen Green

Hi Christina,

Sorry to here you are having to bang your hear against a brickwall, Guess we all have those moments.
    Both my husband and I have brickwalls, both here in Australia and England, most caused by the use of common given names as well as common surname.

I have access to the Victorian BDM if it would help.

Good luck,

Jen

colinyoul

Hello Jen,

I am married to a woman who I believe is a descendant of the said Fraulein Bretag! I found your details elsewhere, actually, and tried e-mailing you at the address you gave ther, but it "bounced".

I wonder if I can paste a copy of my e-mail...?

Hello Jennifer,

Christmas day in Victoria, Australia. We were driving down to Phillip Island for Christmas lunch today, and my F-in-L mentioned that his mother, Louise Emilie Wilhems, was born "over there", indicating the road to Cardinia. He did not know many family details at all, saying that his mother, Louise Emilie Wilhelms, was very secretive about family matters. On returning home I checked my RootsMagic files, and found that I knew the names of Louise's parents. I then typed Louise's father's name, Johann Samuel Wilhelms into Google in quotation marks, just at a venture, and struck some paydirt. there were details of his family (Louise's siblings) far more detail than I had had before. Very exciting! the last of three sites opened up to me was your "Roots-thingamyjig" (Roots.Web.Proj?)file about Heinrich Alfred Wilhelms and his marriage etc. I perceive that you are researching this family, and here I am.

Louise's son, A**** T**** Owens, is the father of my wife, H**** J**** Owens, born 1953. The Wilhelms people are not ancestors of mine, of course, as I only came into the equation by marriage, but they are blood relatives of my Children. I am a Youl. The Rev John Youl (1773-1827) married Jane Loader (1793-1877) daughter of a convict, Charlotte Stroud, and became my ancestors. Jane was born in Sydney Town in 1793, so a very early arrival indeed in terms of Australian birth.

Assisted by many others more worthy than myself I have compiled a lot of information about the Youls and other families. Of course there is a limit to how far one wants to go "horizontally", that is with details of people like the Wilhelms who stand outside the direct line. It looks like your work has uncovered some very interesting stuff indeed, however! This young Wilhelms who married a Williams (Wilhelm) whose mother was a Nancarrow, as was the girl in question's. The mind boggles.

Anyway, that's me, and if you'd like to be in touch I'd be happy to chat about family matters.

Happy Christmas to you,

Colin Youl
    Well, well, I could!!
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 26-12-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: masked names of living people

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Colin, and welcome to the BG forums!

The person who started this thread is unfortunately no longer a member of the forums, and is unlikely to see your post.

Nevertheless, you're very welcome here. Do have a browse around and post any other queries that you'd like help with. Perhaps have a look at our Quick Guide to Posting and our AUP.

colinyoul

Kerrywood,

I have tripped over Jen Green a few times recently in looking into the Bretag family. I notice she was originally a 'guest'. Do you have any way of puttin g me in touch with her? I wonder whether she is still living...? it seems we have a bit to say to each other.

Colin Youl

Name well known on Brit-Gen

PM sent.

colinyoul

Sorry Kerrywood, your "PM sent" is just confusing me.

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast