Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Browniescorner

Post FORSTER & JOHNSON coming to Aus

I am trying to find 2 entries to Australia, Sydney sometime before 1892.
    I'm looking for a George Alfred Forster b.c.1854 in Durham but probably sailed from Liverpool, he was an Organ Builder & could have come here with/for the company he worked for..don't know who...but they were probably installing organs in Sydney churches.
    I am also looking for Laura Johnson b. 1861 in East Riding, Yorkshire, not sure why she came here, she could have come as a servant.
    They came sometime between 1881 & 1892 as they married in Sydney in

Would appreciate any

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Have you checked through the passenger lists on this web site? not all months in the years have been indexed yet, but you may be lucky.

https://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/

I am also presuming that you could not find either of them in the 1891 census? They didn't always have a long engagement period those days, and some of the girls married as soon as they hit the shores, being the purpose of their trip.

ChristineR

birdlip

Hi there,

I found your George still in the UK in 1881. I have FORSTER's in my tree, and they are regularly mis transcribed as FOSTER;

RG11 3705/116/P17
    34 Sidney Place, West Derby, Lancashire

Theresa Foster head W 50 b Ireland, Dressmaker
    John Foster son U 30 b South Shields Durham, Drapers Warehouseman
    George Foster son U 26 b South Shields Durham, Journeyman Organ Builder

regards birdlip

p.s. just re read your post and realised you probably already have this..sorry!
    Last edited by birdlip; 06-05-2008 at 1:21 AM. Reason: added p.s.

birdlip

This looks like his birth;

Mar 1854 FORSTER George Alfred Shields 10a 372

Browniescorner

Thanks Birdlip, I have seen the 1881 census & I have just rechecked it & I never noticed that the spelling of Forster was different. Isn't it amazing what you don't see for looking!
    I have most their info before coming to Aus & while they were here but nothing in between & not a lot after they went back to England.

Our Forster's were in Sydney where were yours?

Thanks again!

Browniescorner

Thanks Christine, I have checked that site. Not a lot of info that could identify them. A few Forster's & a few Johnson's but nothing to distinguish them from the rest.
    I was hoping there would be somewhere else to look which gave a bit more info.
    Thanks again!

birdlip

My Forsters were from Northumberland.

We're actually first generation Australians, we arrived in 1975. Our eldest child, now 34, was born in the UK, the other two were born here.

regards birdlip

Browniescorner

Our Forster's (actually my husband's) are originally from Northumberland also, Ovingham & surrounds.

birdlip

Mine were from Stamfordham, only 5 or 6 miles North of Ovingham, so perhaps there is a link? My lot were all stonemasons.

Browniescorner

I don't know yet what all our Forster's were, although at least one was a farmer/grocer. A few of the males had a distinctive name...Barnabas Forster...great name hey!
    Don't know a lot about them yet, have only just found them. Sorry, that's not completely true, but the earlier generations are new to us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast