Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Alfred Forster and Laura Eliza Johnson

Laura Forster (born Johnson) was my father's first cousin. I knew Olive and Ada Forster, two of their children, when they returned to Liverpool. After helping to build the cathedral in Sydney, the family went to Sri Lanka to build the cathedral in Colombo. I have a few photographs of the family and a book about the building of Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, where George must have worked for the firm of Messrs. Henry Willis and Sons c 1910, famous organ builders.

I am interested in finding out more about Laura's sister, Ann Elizabeth Johnson's time in Australia. She was working as a Housekeeper in the home of a Major Harvey in Brisbane.
    She had a child in 1895, my father, Arthur Leslie Messenger on the certificate in Brisbane, registered by his mother. Also another child, Lilian Ada Taylor, born in 1899 in Brisbane.
    Ann/Annie Elizabeth then went back to Yorkshire and I have all the details from there onward, apart from any marriage details to either a Messenger or a William Taylor, Engineer, whose widow she is said to have been. We were always told that his father was a ship's engineer who died at sea. I know that Laura and Annie also had two brothers who went to Brisbane (possibly Arthur William and Charles?)

Any information gratefully received.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Luciole View Post
    Laura Forster (born Johnson) was my father's first cousin. I knew Olive and Ada Forster, two of their children, when they returned to Liverpool. After helping to build the cathedral in Sydney, the family went to Sri Lanka to build the cathedral in Colombo. I have a few photographs of the family and a book about the building of Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, where George must have worked for the firm of Messrs. Henry Willis and Sons c 1910, famous organ builders.

I am interested in finding out more about Laura's sister, Ann Elizabeth Johnson's time in Australia. She was working as a Housekeeper in the home of a Major Harvey in Brisbane.
    She had a child in 1895, my father, Arthur Leslie Messenger on the certificate in Brisbane, registered by his mother. Also another child, Lilian Ada Taylor, born in 1899 in Brisbane.
    Ann/Annie Elizabeth then went back to Yorkshire and I have all the details from there onward, apart from any marriage details to either a Messenger or a William Taylor, Engineer, whose widow she is said to have been. We were always told that his father was a ship's engineer who died at sea. I know that Laura and Annie also had two brothers who went to Brisbane (possibly Arthur William and Charles?)

Any information gratefully received.
    Hi, the birth registration index appears to me that Annie was not married when she had the kids. They are registered under Johnson and no father's name on the registration. Tho it appears maybe their father's may have been a Messenger and Taylor, maybe it was her way of knowledging who their father's were. I have not been able to find a marriage for her with either Messager or Taylor therefore i would suggest the story about her been a widow maybe to save face that she had 2 kids outside of marriage here in Australia. Do you have either of their birth certificates? And what surname did Annie use once she returned to the UK?

Birth registration:
    Arthur Leslie Messenger Johnson
    Birth date:07/10/1895
    Mother's name: Annie Elizabeth Johnson
    Registration details: 1895/B/57468

Birth registration:
    Lilian Ada Taylor Johnson
    Birth date: 19/06/1899
    Mother's name: Annie Elizabeth Johnson
    Registration details: 1899/B/64448

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12