Sirius

Default BALHARRY c.1832 birth certificate missing

Hi there, my first post (aside from introduction) and I'm looking for help (surprise!!).

I have connected with family in Chile and whilst we have some information to go on, it's not a lot!

My ancestor, David Balharry, left Scotland to go to work on the internal railway lines in Chile, in 1850. Whilst I don't know how old he was at that time, I am told by his living grandson that he was 'very young'.

David apparently arrived in Chile with his sister (name unknown at present, still working on that via Chilean consul records as she married the French consul to Chile - knowing her name would be a great help, I know!)

Now, unfortunately there are a hell of a lot of Davids in the family and I've been pouring over the records trying to sort this out.

I have found in the 1851 census:

David Balharrie
    aged 19
    born abt 1832, Airlie, Forfarshire
    Joiner
    living in Douglastown as servant to Whitton family

Now, based purely on age, this David seems a likely candidate - know that if he went to Chile in 1850 he wouldn't appear on the census, but I can't verify the date of emigration at the moment. However.... I can't find anything on him at all. My eyes might be going squiffy with all the pouring over documents, I might be missing something. I can find no birth certificate for this David, no reference on 1841 census or 1861 census that I can find, and I also don't appear to have any marriage certificate suiting him either.

Ultimately I want to trace which David went to Chile, so if anyone can help shed light with any of this, I'd be delighted!

Thanks.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi

Not the answer to your question, but maybe of interest?

The IGI has the christening of Jose David Balharry on 09 Jul 1878 at San Isidro, Santiago, Region Metropolitana, Chile. Parents David Balharry and Benigna Nuňez.

Sirius

Hi Squaredancer and thanks for your reply!

I really appreciate the information you've found - my 'cousin' in Chile has a fairly good family tree building on from the original David and his Chilean wife Benigna, so I'll recheck whether this is information she has (I'm at work and don't have the details to hand) as it doesn't ring bells. Thank you!

However I am intrigued to know how you found that information!!! I warned you I was a newbie, and whilst I've become adept at trawling Scotlands People, I'm new to such references as IGI (I know, I should look through the appropriate forums to learn about this stuff, but I'm too impatient to get to the good bits!!) and I'm delighted that information can be obtained from as far afield as Chile.

Sirius

Ok, update, I've just received an email from a cousin researcher, and he has records for David 1832 showing he married in Scotland before moving to England and having children.

Damn, looks like this isn't 'my' David after all

Sirius

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post

However I am intrigued to know how you found that information!!!

Ok, like a good girl I took some time to check, now I understand!!

Have this info on my spreadsheet:

16/07/1842 Free passage for Emmigrant Labourers
    to New Zealand - David acting as Constable on ship.
    David Balhary 32(1810)Occ:Carpenter
    Margaret 31(1811)(Jeffrey)
    Adam 8(1834)
    David 6(1836)
    Jane 3(1839)
    Gravesend to Wellington - Arrived 29/12/1842

The David aged 6 could be the person of interest?

1841 Census (ref. HO107 737 7 5 5
    Address - Marsham Street, Westminster
    David Balharey, 30, cabinet maker, born Scotland
    Margaret Balharey, 30, born Scotland
    David Balharey, 5, born Scotland
    Jane Balharey, 2, born Middlesex
    Margaret Balharey, 1 month, born Middlesex

General Register Office (GRO)
    Births registered -
    Balhary, Jane, Jun Qtr 1839, Westminster, vol 01 page 334 - mother's maiden name Jeffery
    Balhary, no given name, Jun Qt 1841, Westminster, vol 01 page 387 - mother's maiden name Jeffery
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FMP Baptism (image)
    Jane Jeffrey, dau. of David Balhary and Margaret Jeffrey, born 9 Feb 1839, bap 30 March 1839, abode St. Johns, Westminster, occpn. Piano forte maker, parish - Wells Street Scotch Church, St Marylebone
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"