Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default PERKINS (PERKINGS) Ricd (Richard) born abt. 1771 & HORTON Ann born abt. 1775

Your help is needed as I'm stuck atm.

The Perkins side of my family tree goes back to Richard Perkins 2 July 1799 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England.

He had a brother William Perkins 14 April 1800 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England.

There are other children all at Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England also with the parents of Richard Perkins and Ann, these are:

Thomas Perkins 15 July 1796
    Ann Perkins 9 Jun 1797
    Elizabeth Perkins 10 May 1802
    Sarah Perkins 4 Nov 1805

In my family line the name Thomas is given to the first born son and as the above Thomas is the eldest I say these are all the same family.

I seached for a marriage on the IGI between a Richard Perkins and and Ann about 1796 in Warwick as Thomas was born then.

I found 3 entries for the same marriage (2 were Banns) and this marriage was
    21 FEB 1796 Holy Trinity, Stratford On Avon, Warwick, England (about 5 months before Thomas was born)
    The other info of the Banns and Marriage entries are
    PERKINGS (PERKINS) RICD (Richard) born About 1771, Of Stratford,On-Avon, , Warwick, England
    HORTON Ann born About 1775, Of Stratford On Avon, Warwick, England

Which means this Ann would have been about 21yo when she had Thomas and Richard would have been about 25yo (that is if the about dates are correct).

Any help regarding this Richard PERKINGS (PERKINS) and HORTON Ann is greatly appreciated.

Wayne Cook
    Australia

I know it's a long shot because of when Richard and Ann were born about but can someone check and see if either of them appear in the first census (I figure they won't but anything is worth a try).

Kind Regards,

Wayne Cook

Is anyone else researching this Perkins family?

The above births are not appearing on freereg

I have a birth of a Richard Perkins (christened in 1772) Ashwick, Somerset, father Richard (Surgeon) no mother listed

The Freereg marriage for Richard Perkins and Ann Horton says Somerset, Warwick

janbooth

The marriage of Richard PERKINGS & Ann HORTON took place on 21 February 1796 at Holy Trinity as you say, but according to my parish register transcript CD it states that Richard was a bachelor and Ann a spinster, both of the parish, and the witnesses were an Edward EDKINS & M TAYLOR, so I don't know where Somerset comes into the equation.

It looks as if son Thomas may have been buried at Birmingham St Mary on 10 February 1824 aged 28 years, of The Hospital. Therefore looking at the parish register images of Birmingham St Mary via Ancestry, there are a couple of burials that may be relevant to you, i.e. on 10 February 1828 Richard PERKINS of Charlotte Street, aged 66, and on 19 February 1832 Ann PERKINS, widow, Water Street, aged 67. So if these ages at death are correct, we are looking for the baptism of a Richard PERKINS c1762 and an Ann HORTON c1765.

Janet

I think the dates given in post 4 are more likely than those Wayne cites in post 1. I would want to know where these last came from, as marriage records pre-1837 do not often give ages. I think the LDS church may use a standard age of 21 for brides when they calculate ages, but as we all know, people marry at different ages. In my family the women tend to marry at 30, so you get different ranges for baptisms. Somerset is a long way from Warwickshire so I would want a good solid clue to make links that distant. pwholt

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    I think the dates given in post 4 are more likely than those Wayne cites in post 1. I would want to know where these last came from, as marriage records pre-1837 do not often give ages. I think the LDS church may use a standard age of 21 for brides when they calculate ages, but as we all know, people marry at different ages. In my family the women tend to marry at 30, so you get different ranges for baptisms. Somerset is a long way from Warwickshire so I would want a good solid clue to make links that distant. pwholt
    Richard and his siblings information quoted in the 1st post came from the IGI

1851 census has Richard (son Richard and Ann)
    52 Pistol Maker, Place of Birth Birmingham (so was born 1799 as per my initial post of information I had found on the IGI) IGI info I printed years ago says Christened 2 July 1799 at St Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England.

(These all say parents Richard and Ann Perkins)

His brother William (not listed in post 1) was also on the IGI (plus a witness at Richards marriage to Harriet Kendrick plus Richard and Harriet were witnesses at his marriage)
    1851 Census has William Perkins (widower) 51 Packing Box Maker, Birth Place Birmingham (so born 1800). IGI info I printed years ago says, Christened 14 April 1800, Saint Phillips Birmingham, Warwick England

IGI for their other siblings that I printed out years ago says

Ann Pirkins Christened 9 July 1797 Saint Phillips Birmingham, Warwick, England
    Elizabeth Perkins Christened 10 May 1802 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
    Thomas Perkins Christened 15 July 1796 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
    Sarah Perkins Christened 4 Nov 1805 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

Stratford On Avon regarding the possible Marriage of their parents (under my understanding) is in Warwickshire and one entry for the possible Marriage I am looking at says Stratford On Avon, the other just says Stratford.

Somerset was a possible birth for this Richard. Now I have a death and age I can do a better search for his birth

Janet this Thomas Perkins who died 10 Feb 1824 aged 28 appears to match with my Richard's brother Thomas Christened 15 July 1796 as he would have turned 28 in 1824 (according to his Christening) Thomas was the first born. My Richard who married Harriet Kendrick, their first son was also named Thomas.

I just searched freereg and the only christening for a Richard Perkins that came up between 1770-1773 is 1 in 1772 in Somerset (tried the spelling Perkings with no results). Soundex located a Richard Perking Christened Jan 1770 in Devon.

ok. I just joined Family Search.

I found a

Marriage for Thomas Perkins to Mary Millowship
    1 Dec 1771, St Lawrence, Foleshill, Warwick, England

Richard Perkins
    Christened 9 Feb 1772, Sherbourne, Warwick, England (parents Thomas and Mary)

William Perkins
    Christened 22 May 1774, Sherbourne, Warwick, England (parents Thomas and Mary)

Joseph Perkins
    burial 2 Jan 1801 St Pauls Chapel, St. Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England (parents Thomas and Mary)

Ann Perkins
    burial 1 Jun 1802 St Pauls Chapel, St Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England (parents Thomas and Mary)

(my great great grandfather Thomas Perkins and his siblings were christened at St Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick).

possible birth of a child between the christenings of Richard 1772 and William 1774

Name Thomas Perkins
    Burial Date 26 Feb 1837
    Burial Place St Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England
    Age 64
    Birth Date 1773

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast