Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

ok my cousin and I have found an issue

1851 census has 2 x Richard Perkins age 52 born in Warwickshire

The stray one is (according to Family Search)

Richard Perkins Age 52 born about 1799
    Old Stratford, Warwick
    mother Ann
    residence: Aston Rd (Aston Cantlow, Warwick England)

and my Richard w Harriet (copy emailed to me of the census entry)

Richard Perkins age 52, Pistol Maker Place of Birth: Birmingham
    Harriet Perkins age 48 w Place of Birth: Market Harborough
    Plus children listed

Family Search has

Richard Perkins 2 July 1799 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England parents Richard Perkins and Ann

and the Marriage of Richard Perkins and Ann Horton 21 Feb 1796, Holy Trinity, Stratford On Avon, Warwick, England

We can't find the other Richard's birth and the above Marriage in Warwick is the only one I can find.

janbooth

The Richard PERKINS in the 1851 census of Aston Cantlow is shown as unmarried Agriculatural Labourer. There is a baptism at Aston Cantlow on 23 December 1798 of a Richard PERKINS son of Richard & Ann PERKINS who would seem a likely candidate for the one in the 1851 census of Aston.

Janet

janbooth

1841 census of Birmingham (HO107/1141/14, folios 49/50, pages 18/10) shows Richard & Harriet PERKINS living at 267 New Town Row with children Thomas, Matilda, Charles, George, Harriet, Mary Ann, Maria & Emily. New Town Row, according to a Street Map of Birmingham, is not a million miles away from either Charlotte Street, where Richard PERKINS died in 1828, or Water Street, where Ann PERKINS died in 1832.

Now I don't know whether this could be relevant or not, but given that Richard PERKINS born 1799 was a Pistol Maker, there is an apprenticeship Indenture record dated 28 April 1774 wherein a William SHEPHERD Citizen & Gun Maker of London, took on a Richard PERKIN as an apprentice for a period of 7 years from 31 March 1774 - unfortunately no details as to where Richard PERKIN lived. It may be pure coincidence but maybe not.

Just discovered the Richard PERKINS in the 1851 census of Aston Cantlow is still alive in the 1861 census of Aston Cantlow in which he states his birthplace is Aston Cantlow so I think that almost certainly means that the baptism I found at Aston Cantlow is his.

Janet

Thanks Janet,

I will talk to my cousin to obtain the information regarding the other Richard Perkins who married an Ann that she has told me about.

Pistol Making was a family business regarding Richard born 1799 in Birmingham as his son Thomas who was sent to Tasmania as a convict was a Gun and Pistol Finisher.

Janet so the Richard in 1774 who was the apprentice could be Richard born 1799's dad and older than I thought or his grandfather (if the same family). It is worth looking into. Thanks again.

janbooth

A bit more information about the PERKINS family in Aston Cantlow. There is a burial at Aston Cantlow on 12 December 1844 for a Richard PERKINS of Wilmcote, aged 79, thus giving a birthdate of c1765. The family are living in Aston Cantlow in the 1841 census (HO107/1126/3, folio 31, page 2) all supposedly born in the county of Warwickshire.

There are two other children, apart from Richard, baptised at Aston Cantlow: John on 6 March 1796 and Mary baptised on 30 April 1797. The one thing that worries me about the marriage of Richard PERKINS to Ann HORTON at Stratford in 1796 is that Wilmcote, Aston Cantlow, is considered as part of Stratford on Avon so this marriage could well be that of the Richard & Ann PERKINS of Wilmcote, Aston Cantlow, especially as the transcript of the marriage stated that they were both of this parish.

Ah, I think you may need to consider this baptism at Aston Cantlow (parish register image available to view via Ancestry) on 22 May 1777 of Ann daughter of Edward & Mary ORTON of Aston. This baptism fits in with the date and place of birth of Ann PERKINS of Aston Cantlow according to the 1851 census record. In which case the marriage at Stratford on Avon is unlikely to be that of your Richard & Ann PERKINS of Birmingham. See what you think, anyway.

Janet

Thanks.

I can't locate any other Marriage of a Richard Perkins and an Ann in Warwickshire.

ok as the Marriage of Richard Perkin(g)s to Ann Horton says he was born about 1771 and the death in Aston of that Richard Perkins, he was born c. 1765 (so 6 years earlier)

PERKINS (Richard) born About 1771, Of Stratford,On-Avon, , Warwick, England
    HORTON Ann born About 1775, Of Stratford On Avon, Warwick, England

Thomas Perkins was christened 15 July 1796 at Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England (parents Richard Perkins and Ann) about 5 months after the above marriage

Thomas is the first child of Richard Perkins (born 1799) and Harriet Kendrick christened at Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

Richard Perkins (as he is about 6 years younger than the Richard Perkins in Aston Cantlow) and wife Ann Horton may have moved to Birmingham after the marriage as she was pregnant prior to the Marriage.

I have found Marriages outside of Warwickshire though

Richard Perkins m Ann Robinson 26 Dec 1797 Burton Overy Leicester Eng
    Richard Perkins m Ann Braithwaite 21 Feb 1791Saint Helen York, York, England
    Richard Perkins m Ann Playford 26 Apr 1790 Fring Norfolk England
    Richard Perkins m Ann Bayley 1787 Bromyard, Hereford, England
    Richard Perkins m Ann Sanders 13 Feb 1787 Christ Church, Hampshire, England.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast