Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adoption - 1947

loulight

Default Adoption - 1947

Hi
    Please can anyone tell me if your pre-adoption birth certificate with original birth parents are destroyed once you are adopted. I don't want to trace my fathers birth parents but fill the gap - he has provided me with his original name.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by loulight View Post
    Hi
    Please can anyone tell me if your pre-adoption birth certificate with original birth parents are destroyed once you are adopted. I don't want to trace my fathers birth parents but fill the gap - he has provided me with his original name.
    Lou
    My Dad was adopted in 1929 aged 10, and I have his adoption certificate and his original birth cert with his name before adoption. So I guess not.

Born Jack Lally, Adopted and took his Aunt & Uncles surname of Edwards.

loulight

Hi
    Thank-you. Perhaps in the mists of time the information my dad got from my gran has changed and thats why I can't find him.
    Thanks
    Louisa

Mutley

I have a birth certificate for one of mine and a later adoption certificate.

His birth certificate (pre adoption) is still as was and could be re-ordered at anytime with original mother but no father. His adoptive parents kept his forename and as they were related, the surname stayed the same so he is still the same person that he originally was.

I think it is to do with the name changes e.g.

Robert Smith's birth certificate will always be there but if Robert Smith is adopted and becomes John Brown without knowing his original name he would be unable to find the birth certificate.

My brother was adopted by my parents at 10 days old, his mother left him in the hospital and just disappeared. I have the short version of his birth certificate that does not give parents but has the name given to him by my parents (his adoptive parents). I will go look and see if there is another version of his birth certificate.

Not sure if I have made myself clear or got lost on the way.

loulight

Hi
    Thanks for your help - i have only just joined the forum and everyone has been so kind in their help - sometimes the old ones come true i.e. a problem shared. I think i have stared at the glitches for so long I haven't been able to unravel them.
    Louisa

Reputation beyond repute

Apologies if I've read too much into this but if your father's alive why not just kick off the standard disclosure procedure?

loulight

Hi
    My dad doesn't want to know anything about it and I can't do it without him - im probably not going to go too far with his original birth line - if he was interested he would have done it himself.
    Thanks
    Louisa

Janet Howell

For my adoption in 1942 I have my original Birth Certificate obtained in 1989 and my short BC issued when I was adopted, with my new name. No natural father's name, that came later when I found my half sister.
    Janet

Mand-1

Information found: Pre adoption birth certificates are not destroyed. They are left in the adoptees adoption file. The file can be found in the state/city that the child was born.The adoption file can only be accessed by a sibling and permission can only be granted by a Judge in the courts of the place born.

~Mandy~

Famous for offering help & advice

In England & Wales pre adoption Birth Certificates can be ordered from the GRO in the normal way - BUT using the original (usually crossed out) page number & not the updated page number.

Mitch

Who now knows for the first time in 40 years in which Hospital he was born

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast