Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

OK, this is what I have found out.

Philip RUNDELL was born at Norton, near Bath, on 15 January 1746. His father was a maltster and his maternal uncle, Philip DITCHER, was a famous surgeon in Bath. His elder brother Thomas and younger brother Francis were also surgeons. Philip had several sisters; one married Thomas BIGGE of Benton in Northumberland, and another married John BOND, lord of the manor of Hendon in Middlesex and a magistrate of that county.

Philip RUNDELL became a prominent London jeweller and entered into partnership with John BRIDGE. Rundell & Bridge became the royal jewellers and Philip was soon a millionaire. He never married. He died on 17th February 1827 aged 81 and was buried at Hendon on the 24th February 1827. Mrs. BOND was described as Philip's favourite sister, and her grandson Joseph NEELD Junior inherited the bulk of Philip's estate, as he had given up his career to look after Philip in the last years of his life.

His will names his various siblings and their offspring, all of whom receive bequests. The will includes the following:

"I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £5,000 in trust for the sole use and benefit of Mrs. Eleanor MILWARD, the wife of Mr. John MILWARD, for and during her natural life; and from and immediately after the death of the said Eleanora MILWARD, then in trust for all and every the child or children of the said Eleanora MILWARD, in equal shares and proportions, share and share alike; and in addition to the trust monies hereinbefore mentioned I give and bequeath unto each and every of the seven children of the said Eleanora MILWARD, that is to say Anthony MILWARD, Robert MILWARD, Octavius Rundell MILWARD, Eleanora MILWARD, Mary Anne MILWARD, Amelia MILWARD and Maria MILWARD, the sum of £5,000 apiece.
    "I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £5,000 sterling in trust for the sole use and benefit of Mrs. Susannah MILWARD for and during her natural life; and from and immediately after the decease of the said Susannah MILWARD, then in trust for Susannah MILWARD the younger, the daughter of the said Susannah MILWARD, absolutely.

John BOND married Susanna RUNDELL 13 April 1765 St.Mary le Strand, Westminster

I imagine that Eleanora BOND was a daughter of John BOND and Susanna RUNDELL
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

gualmilward

Thanks!

I need some help with some letters that I have here... I can't read because the way that is write its to difficult to read, and the letter is too old.

I will send one to you Sue Mackay,

Thanks.

gualmilward

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Do any of the letters from England have addresses on? Or exact dates?
    I can't find addresses, only dates.

The letter you have just sent me by PM was written from 11 Derby Terrace, Croydon, Surrey on July 7th 1862. It was written by Robert's sister Eleonora Sophia and refers to "my Joseph". At first I thought it was her husband but now I think it might be her son, who was interested in mining in Brazil.

It's rather late now in the UK but tomorrow I will try to find 11 Derby Terrace on the census and find out her surname.
    Sue Mackay

Once I read the last page of the letter and saw she had a daughter Eleonora it was easy to find them on the census.

1861: RG9/449 f 58 pages 52/53

Derby Road, Croydon

Eleonora S LOVE Head Widow 58 Fundholder born Middlesex, Bromley
    Joseph N LOVE Son 29 Solicitor General Clerk born Herefordshire, Ross
    Eleonora S LOVE Dau 26 born Herefordshire, Ross
    Alexander A LOVE Son 21 Clerk Bank of England (Bill Officer) born Gloucestershire, Badgeworth
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 22-04-2008 at 8:24 AM. Reason: Correcting Joseph's middle initial
    Sue Mackay

This looks like Eleonora on the 1841 census at Sloane Street, Chelsea

Class: HO107; Piece 687; Book: 7; Civil Parish: Chelsea; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 14; Page: 22

Eleonora MILWARD 60
    Marianne MILWARD 30
    Both described as Independent and born in the county.
    Have just had another look at this census, and also at the above address in 1841, presumably visiting their mother, were
    Maria CARTER 30
    Eleanora LOVE 35
    Louisa LOVE 6 months
    Sue Mackay

gualmilward

Once I read the last page of the letter and saw she had a daughter Eleonora it was easy to find them on the census.

1861: RG9/449 f 58 pages 52/53

Derby Road, Croydon

Eleonora S LOVE Head Widow 58 Fundholder born Middlesex, Bromley
    Joseph H LOVE Son 29 Solicitor General Clerk born Herefordshire, Ross
    Eleonora S LOVE Dau 26 born Herefordshire, Ross
    Alexander A LOVE Son 21 Clerk Bank of England (Bill Officer) born Gloucestershire, Badgeworth

Yes yes, I was reading a letter here... and all from the same place Croydon, Surrey... I've got to find who live in this place. I was in an another genealogy forum and there was a women from London looking something about Robert H. Milward.
    Thanks.

Here is the letter writer's family in 1841 in Badgeworth, Gloucestershire. We know of course that Eleonora herself and her baby Louisa were visiting her mother in Chelsea on the night of the census.

Class: HO107; Piece 356; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Badgeworth; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 7; Page: 9

James LOVE 49 [cannot make out occupation - writing very faint]
    Eleanora 6
    Robert 4
    Alexander 2

The older boys were at school in Hereford in 1841

I cannot find the family at all on the 1851 census. Maybe they were visiting Robert in Brazil?

Eleonora Sophia LOVE died in Croydon aged 77 and her death was registered in Croydon in the June quarter of 1880, Volume 2a, Page 152.

This is what I know of the children of James and Eleonora Sophia LOVE.

Anthony William was the eldest, born ca 1830 in Ross, Herefordshire, and named after his uncle the naval officer. In 1861 he was unmarried and living as a lodger at 6 Cadogan Street, Chelsea. He was described as a teacher. He was still unmarried in 1871, working as a school master in St.Mary's Newington. He died aged 56 in the March quarter of 1887 in Wandsworth.

The second son Joseph Neeld LOVE was christened on 18 November 1834 in Leigh, Gloucestershire on the same day as his younger sister Eleonora Sophia. Joseph was therefore named after Joseph NEELD, who inherited the bulk of Philip RUNDELL's money. He may well have gone to Canada as the letter suggests.

Eleonora Sophia married a much older man, John Harris DANVERS in the September quarter of 1868 in Croydon, Volume 2a Page 309
    On the 1881 census she was also living in Croydon
    RG11; Piece: 814; Folio: 103; Page: 4
    20 Windmill Road, Croydon
    John H DANVERS 72 Retired Wine Merchant born Essex, Wanstead
    Eleonora S DANVERS 46 born Herefordshire, Ross
    John H DANVERS son 11 Scholar born Surrey, Croydon

I think the son Robert who appears on the 1841 census must have died young, as he is not mentioned in the letter.

The youngest son of James and Eleonora Sophia LOVE, Alexander, was born in Gloucestershire in 1839. Civil registration started in the UK in 1837, so he had a birth certificate. His birth was registered in Cheltenham in the December quarter of 1839, Volume 11 Page 175, and his full name was Alexander Almaraz LOVE. Could this middle name have come from Brazil?

We know from Eleonora's letter to Robert that Alexander married Ada Ellen BURROWS on 10th June 1862 and the marriage was registered in the June quarter of 1862 in Croydon Volume 2a Page 237. Alexander died in Croydon in December quarter 1884, Volume 2a Page 143.

The baby Louisa on the 1841 census was registered Maria Louisa LOVE in Cheltenham in the December quarter of 1840. She is also not mentioned again, so perhaps she died in infancy.
    Sue Mackay

Default Albany Carrington Bond

This family in 1851 is also connected. Albany Carrington BOND was mentioned in Philip RUNDELL's will. I assume that as he was born in Hendon that he was a brother of Eleonora BOND.

HO107; Piece: 1705; Folio: 120; Page: 19
    Great Amwell, Hertfordshire

Albany C BOND 68 Annuitant born Middlesex, Hendon
    Mary Ann BOND wife 62 born Hertfordshire, Hertford
    Albany BOND son 40 Out of Business born Hertfordshire, Ware
    Catherine BOND dau 30 born Hertfordshire, Great Amwell
    Neeld R. BOND Son 24 Out of Business born Hertfordshire, Great Amwell

From The Gentlemen's Magazine 1856
    Oct. 31, at Great Amwell, Herts, aged 73, Albany Carrington Bond, esq. The deceased was uncle to John Neeld, esq., M.P., and the late Joseph Neeld, esq., late M.P. for Chippenham.
    Sue Mackay

gualmilward

Almaraz, no is not from Brazil.
    As I can see there is no more Milward descendent from brothers of Robert, Only me and a small part of my family. It's kind of sad to know about this.

By the way, that letter was the last letter made by Eleonora Sophia.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast