Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bluetntmo

Hi
    My ancestors lived in this parish also from late 1890 to the war. They Lived in Evelyn and Baldwins Gardens. The family surname is Clay. Does anyone have any info??
    regards
    mo

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

Do you know what number Evelyn Buildings it was? If you said it was Baldwins Gardens then it was probably that block as there were two adjacent blocks of Evelyn Buildings. Mine lived in the southern block in Dorrington Street.

The Dorrington Street one had 31 tenements and the Baldwins Gardens one had 47 tenements.

Ben

bluetntmo

Sorry Ben my grandparents lived at 26 Evelyn Buildings (1901 census) and my parents lived at Baldwins Gardens along with my 2 oldest brothers until they were evacuated when the building was bombed in 1940/41 they can't remember the exact date or the number they lived in
    regards
    Mo

Hi

I did research that Evelyn Buildings was bombed in WW2. I have seen photos of Baldwins Gardens destroyed by Hitlers bombs. It was in 1941 I think. That was definately the Baldwin's Gardens block then.

The blocks were completed in 1882 and the southern block still stands today, surviving two world wars and major London reconstruction and slum clearences but it is now a hostel.

Ben

macersgirl

Smile Bell Court St Albun's Building Holborn

Hi I dont know if i have done this right as still very new to this site but i have been in touch with benny1982 who was really helpfull on some infomation i needed on St Alban's Building in Holborn.

My Granmother and siblings were born here and i was trying to find out as much as i could of the Buildings and area ect. I have now been given one of my grandmothers sister's birth certificate and this gives more infomation then my grandmother's. This states the address as: 113 Bell Court St Albans Buildings. The dates i am looking for are from 1922 to 1932 for the births of all the siblings. I know St Albans Building was beside St Albans the Martyr church as i was sent a photo from another sister in Canada of the familiy standing on the roof top of what must have been the BUilding with the side of the Church showing (the church was confirmed by a cousin who enjoys pub crawls around Holborn! lol.

I have searched the internet for photos of this building without no luck. Now i am wondering was Bell Court seperate to St Alban's Building or one and the same?? I know there where many 'Buildings' in this area and that it was near Grays inn ect so i know i am looking at the right area on my A-Z Atlas and Guide to London and Suburbs that was done in 1938/9 and Baldwin Gardens is shown on the old map along side Donnington street.

I must say that if anyone has ancestors ect in this area pre 1938/9 then this book would be great foranyone trying to locate old streets and rows as this also gives the new name for some of the old roads that are not here anymore . It's well worth the £9.95.

If anyone could help me with the Bell court/St Alban |Building questions then i would be really grateful.
    Last edited by macersgirl; 29-04-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: did not give dates

Hi

I have actually set up a Facebook group on the parish of St Alban Holborn. A Historical Portrait. It is packed with several maps of the area from 1873, 1894, 1914 and 1965, plus many photos.

Ben

macersgirl

Smile

Hi Ben

I have looked on your facebook for St Alban Holborn and saw some photos. would i be correct in thinking that the picture of a bombed out side of building was St Albans building? The last time i corresponded with you i did not have the bell court address . Do you thinkk this was a seperate dwelling that came under St Albans building?

I have got a brilliant A-Z Atlas and guide to London and suburbs which was first printed in 1938/9 and its great to see the old streets ect. It does not have St Albans Building on it but has Baldwin gardens and Donnington street ect. It was only £9.95 and well worth the money. it was advertised through one of the familiy history mags and ideal for people like us with ancesters in this area. . My familiy left this area around 1930. It's a good job they did as if they had been bombed my familiy wouldnt have been here! I have also found out that this familiy lived for a few years at red Lion street, this would have been around 1918-22 as both boys who where born there died of the Flu there.

Thanks again for all your help, i think i amgetting the ahng of this site lol. I have been very lucky that lots of people have helped me.
    michelle

Hi Macersgirl

The photo of the bombed out street is Dorrington Street looking east towards Leather Lane.

I think St Alban's Buildings was inbetween the St Albans Church and Grays Inn Road. I do have a pic of Baldwins Gardens bombed out but it is slightly blurred, however I think St Alban's Buildings is on the photo.

Ben

macersgirl

Smile

Hi Ben
    Thanks for the info I will look on the facebook group pictures again.
    michelle

mouseuk

Smile Young family

Hi,
    I have just registered after looking at the posts on Holborn.
    I have just found out that my 3x Great grandfather Henry Young died at 17 Thanksgiving Buildings in Holborn in 1923. Prior to this he lived in Baldwin Place and Verulum Place with his wife Ellen Brown. His son Robert Edward Young married Mary Ann Smith and lived at Fox Court and his son Robert George married Rebecca Collins and after living at Fox Court later lived at Peabody Buildings in Clerkenwell.
    Anyone out there tracing the Young family? I think that they may have been Catholic and would love to find baptisms.
    Many Thanks

Debbie Waters

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast