Default old photographic studios in Sheffield

I have a few old photographs that were taken in Sheffield

the photographic studios were;

Maybury - 21 Fargate, Sheffield
    G.B Rhodes - Wicker and 31 Crabtree, Sheffield
    A.H Taylor - 21 Fargate, Sheffield
    T.N Langton - 566 Attercliffe Road, Sheffield
    A and G Taylor - 101 Norfolk Street, Sheffield

does anyone know when these places were in business, the dates would help me figure out who are in the photographs

Procat

Hi Duchess,

This site is specifically for Sheffield research and may be able to assist:

https://www.sheffieldfhs2.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?

Duchess

i can't seem to uploaded a picture here, what am i doing wrong?

Procat

It may be too large. I think the maximum size of a jpeg (assuming that is what you are loading) is about 195kb.

Microsoft has a very easy to use resizer (for Windows XP) at:

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Just scroll down till you see Image resizer. When you download it all you need to do to resize the image is right click on it.

Duchess

I have the image at 24kb and still cant uploaded it, if a make it any smaller it would be impossible to view
    Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    It may be too large. I think the maximum size of a jpeg (assuming that is what you are loading) is about 195kb.

Microsoft has a very easy to use resizer (for Windows XP) at:

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Just scroll down till you see Image resizer. When you download it all you need to do to resize the image is right click on it.

Procat

Hi Duchess,

There may be something wrong with the attachment file manager.

I have just spent some time playing with it and cannot get any images to load either.

Mind you, I am far from expert with this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Procat; 20-04-2008 at 4:03 AM. Reason: More thoughts

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Emily Sarah Jenkinson

I have a photo taken by T N Langton of a woman who was born in 1858. Not quite sure how old she is in the photo, but interestingly the address on the card is 539 Attercliffe Road, Sheffield.
    Not sure if the change of address is helpful. Have been unable to attach the photo but the off the shoulder style of her dress suggests she might be 21 at the time - so approximately 1879. If you can advise how to attach the photo I'm happy to do that.
    Janice

Hi Janice
    Unfortunately the original poster and those who answered are no longer members of Brit-Gen and as we don not have any way of contacting them they will not receive an email telling them of your post.
    They may of course still be visiting the forums as unregistered users so if you still want to upload a photo here is the method to use.
    The first step is to make sure that you are in Go Advanced mode on the Brit-Gen thread where you want to place the photo. Click on the picture frame in the row of images above the reply box. (6 from the RH side). The box that appears requires a URL address.
    You have to upload your photo to a free site which will provide a URL address. I use Postimage which is very simple.
    On the home page of Postimage click on 'Choose images' then find and click on the file you want to upload where you have the photo stored on your computer eg Pictures. Then click on the particular folder that holds your picture and Open it. Choose your photo, click on it and click on Open. You are now taken back to the Postimage page where you are given a choice of 9 links. Click on the URL 'Hotlink for forum' Now right click on the URL address and then click on Copy. Go back to the reply box on the Brit-Gen thread and in the URL box right click on your mouse and from the menu click on paste. The URL for your photo is now ready to be posted on the forum along with any information you have typed in to accompany it.
    There are other free sites from which to upload images with URL addresses if you want an alternative.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

T N Langton is Thomas Nelson Langton, birth registered June quarter 1861, son of Richard Nelson Langton and Eliza nee Hartle.
    In the 1881 census Thomas is a clogger's son, and living at home with his parents and siblings in Atterlife cum Darnall. Census reference RG11/4666 folio 123 page 37.

He married Matilda Bellamy in 1882 (marriage PR on Findmypast) and his occupation was clogger.

According to the 1911 census Thomas and Mailda had two children, and I can find birth registrations for a Beatrice and Maggie with mother's maiden name of Bellamy in 1882 and 1884 respectively. Both in Sheffield registration district.

I can't find any of the family in 1891, and 539 Attercliffe Road is listed merely as a lock-up shop.
    (According to an address search on FMP, Attercliffe Road didn't exist in 1881.)

There's a directory entry on Kelly's 1897 directory for Thomas Nelson Lanton, photographer, 539 Attercliffe Road.

1901 census has Thomas, his wife and the two girls living at 539 Attercliffe Road, in the civil parish of Attercliffe with Darnall. Thomas is an artist photographer. Census reference RG13/4383 folio 123 page 2.

The 1908 Kelly's Directory, Vol 4 (Sheffield & Rotherham) has Thos N Langton, photographer, at 69 Spital Hall, Wicker, Sheffield.

In the 1911 census Thomas is a commercial traveller in photographic paper.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”