Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    pasquaney

Question Frozen Atlantic Ocean

This is in response to "Blue70" and thoughts regarding terminology "black irish." I'm interested in
    that earliest "migration" from Iberian coasts that would have been so logical at time when the "Younger
    Dryas" ice sheets had returned, extending even further south than previous Ice Age Maximum . freezing
    Atlantic Ocean and North Sea south to Northern Spain, Southern France, circa 12,000-10,000 BP. All the
    peoples who had retreated south to Italy, Greece, So.Spain etc. fleeing the Younger Dryas ice sheets, would
    be able to start moving slowly north as ice melted.. .but in beginning could have traveled across the frozen Atlantic Ocean/North Sea for several if not many generations. . . before the miles-thick melt became a
    permanent "watery" barrier. The journey across from an Iberian coast to a handy "Sheepshead Peninsula"
    type of landmass, would not have been out of the question, considering what we now know of treks "DNA-traceable" already made in their history?

richard40

My Mother died aged 93yrs, she still had jet black hair, unbelievably black, no grey at all, I then, researching her family find my great great grandparents on her mothers side were all immigrants from Cork in 1820, we could never believe where her hair colour came from, our skin is also quite dark, leave me in the sun for an hour and I go really dark brown. thank you for the information.

thewideeyedowl

Black haired green-eyed Irish

Have just stumbled upon this fascinating thread. Now here is a further conundrum: I had a relative with black hair, very green eyes and porcelain white skin; blood type B Rhesus positive. Her mother was Irish (but with no 'distinctive' looks) , her father English. Her mother came from a large O'Sullivan family, who were all born in County Limerick. My relative's skin was very very fair - she hated the sun and would always avoid it if at all possible. So what might have been her genetic inheritance?

Interestingly, she has no descendants with either black hair or green eyes or a very pale skin.

Wideeyed Owl

You are probably right since many did stay in Ireland. Interestingly, my observation of my many trips to Spain is that I had never noticed any Spanish person with black hair, only dark brown to light brown hair all the way to blond. Their eyes were mainly light honey colored, green and blue.

Green eyes is very common in Spain but I don't remember seeing anybody with black hair or brown skin. They are very fair and in the south they tan and the hair I saw the most was light brown.

thewideeyedowl

Interesting - thank you.

Though the black hair/green eyes/fair skin were always ascribed to the relative's Irish ancestry, of course some of those features might have come through her English father. I am not to know because there are no photographs or memories from that line, which was (mainly) from the part of Cheshire that is very close to the Welsh border.

I think it is important to remember that genetic inheritance is mixed up and it is wise not to ascribe an 'obvious' feature to a popular pre-conception of where it is believed to originate. One just does not know.

Owl

Loves to help with queries

Totally agree, My Grandmother said we were Portuguese.. perfectly correct but she was ouit bt nearly 200 years

Loves to help with queries

Guys, The Irish names you read about in Spain and France have more to do with later Political Events than the Armada, following the the 1641 rebellion by the mainly catholic nobility against the British Crown.. the refugees fled to friendly countrys.

Blue70

The presence of people in Britain and Ireland with black hair and features associated with southern Europe and maybe further away can't be attributed to migrations in the last 1000 years as they are too common and can't be linked to the Celts, Germanic and Scandinavian peoples for obvious reasons. We need to go back to ancient times and consider the possibility of there being migrations to these islands from around the Mediterranean area. These features go against the stereotype of what British and Irish people are supposed to look like but remind us that the British and Irish are descendants of various tribes from various places.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234