Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    flopsy

Smile Spanish blood in Irish ancestors

Absolutely loved this 'chat'. My mother's family were all dark black hair, dark brown or green eyes and the legend was that there was Spanish blood in their line. It intrigued me so much it's the main reason I started to research my family history. Like others I've found it difficult to prove- although I have found Gt grandfather GiBBONS was from Co Mayo, Ireland, and I notice that is a familiar location popping up on this forum. I recently went to Ireland to visit a new found cousin on my paternal side FLANAGANS and I found it quite startling how striking looking some of the Irish people were- especially the dark skinned/dark haired type. When we were on holiday in Barcelona a few years ago we saw a lady on the tube that was the double image of my mother- not much to go on, but it does make it really interesting.
    Thank you to all the contributors - am off to look up the research that has been done.

Settling in

Default spanish blood in the irish

I've been reserching,without much success,on behalf of inlaws,Margaret Maden nee Landy .Her family were from Mayo on the west coast,her father was Patrick Landy and mother is Mrs Eddy Landy,it is believed their surname was originaly DeLandy,does this ring any bells.
    Les Norman

henryk

Checked out the 1911 Census for Ireland which is free and on-line. One family of Landys appear, in Ballinrobe, Co Mayo. The following names are listed in the family. I can make some other personal enquiries if you like

Landy James 55 Male
    Landy Margaret 55 Female
    Landy Mary Kate 23 Female
    Landy Thomas 19 Male
    Landy James 17 Male

Hope this is of help

henryk

Additionally, a Michael Landy appears on the Griffiths Evaluation of 1856

Landy Michael, Cloonenagh, Ballinrobe,Co. Mayo, Ireland

Settling in

Thank you Henryk as much information as possible would help,
    I will pass details on to the inlaws and see if there are any connections.
    Les Norman

Blue70

These dark features aren't unique to Ireland and the numbers can't be explained by survivors of the Spanish Armada. There are lots of dark Welsh people too it's a common trait in the Welsh (and Cornish too). These features come from migrations from the Iberian peninsula (Spain) and France and began thousands of years ago. Many people in Britain and Ireland are descended from these original settlers. They pre-date the Celts who arrived later.

Blue

Máguari

Quote Originally Posted by Carmy View Post
    You're welcome, Scouscan. I studied Spanish a few years ago, that's how I came to recognise the sentence structure.

My husband's family all came from Bristol so you can imagine his reaction when he was called something not nice. He had an Irish temper on him.

There were quite a few female pirates, and they were said to be deadlier than the males, so you could well have been one in an earlier life. Wouldn't it be great to have a time machine?
    I'm curious - what is the reputation of people from Bristol that inspired this comment?

Settling in

Seems i've been barking up the wrong tree.
    The Landy or DeLandy family are from Golway not Mayo.
    Does anyone have information on this branch of the family.
    Regards Les Norman

rogtut

I'm new to Brit gen and was intrigued to see this thread as earlier today I had a converstion with my sister about a possible connection with my ancestors LAVIN or McLAVIN or M'LAVIN who originated in Ireland but went to Scotland to work in the shale mines in the 1860's onwards.

A common family forename is Marcella (my sister's and my daughter's middle name) and my sister has done some research on this and linked it to a similar Spanish name and even a particular area of Spain.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has similar research.

StephenMKohler

Black Irish 101 - The term Black Irish is Irish American slang for the dark haired/dark eyed/light skin genetic characteristics appearing in the descendents of west Irish peoples with ancient Fir Bolg (Original aboriginal people of Ireland, who were smaller in stature than the Gaels, and had black hair, dark eyes, and white skin) origins. These people are proven to be genetically related to the Basques (France and Spain), Berbers (North Africa), and some Amerindians of the east coast of North America. A key marker is found in the predominance of Type O Blood amongst these people. The survivors of the Spanish Armada most likely did not live long enough in Ireland to form relationships and father children. There is no genetic evidence that the survivors of the Spanish Armada left any legacy. The genetic markers present in significant levels throughout Spain (the exception being the Basque) simply do not occur in Irish populations.

/R
    Stephen
    Tampa

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast