bonti

Default KEEVY from Hollywell

Hi list,

I'm in unchartered waters here and feeling pretty stupid.
    Everytime I look for something I bump up against towns and places I've never heard of. I have no idea where to look for info.....as Hollymount is such a small place where would I try find church records etc.

I'm looking to trace my family KEEVY who immigrated to South Africa in 1820 aboard the Sir George Osborn from England.
    John Martin (28), wife Mary (27) and children Matthew(10) Francis(7) and Ann (18mths) (Ages and names from ship passenger lists)

I have on John Martin KEEVY - The following is written in the Roman Catholic Registry of Deaths, Grahamstown, page 19: 'July 25 1847, buried this day, John Keevy a native of Holly [?Holy] Mount, County of Mayo, Ireland and one of the old settlers.
    Mary Keevy [Kean]. Born 1793 Ireland. She died 26 May 1865. [These two sentences translated from Afrikaans.] From the Roman Catholic Register of Deaths: 'Buried this evening, Mary Keevy widow 77 years old, one of the old settlers'
    (The ages at death don't tie with ages on passenger lists I know but I have been told folks made themselves the required ages to get passage)

John Martin left a will wherein he named his wife as Margaret KEAN(E)
    When Mary (Margaret) died her son signed the death notice giving his mother's name as Margaret KING born Galway.

Can anyone help me..........where or what should I be looking at to find them?

Thank you

c'ya

Mary S (WA)

Default Irish Relatives

Henry O'Brien
    Born: 1793 - Holymount, (or Hollymount) County Mayo, Ireland
    Marr: 25 JUL 1836 - NSW
    Died: 27 JAN 1866 - Yass, NSW
    Father: Henry O'Brien
    Mother: Catherine Browne
    Other Spouses: Elizabeth Sadlier Moody

I found the above when I googled 'Holymount, Ireland'. I wonder if they are related to your family?
    There is also a Holy Mount in Donegal (and possibly elsewhere in Ireland).
    The Holy Mount generally referred to in Mayo is Croagh Patrick, a sacred place of Pilgrimage where St Patrick is said to have fasted and prayed for 40days.
    I noticed you had found the name Keane and then King.I have discovered a King from Galway and Mayo in my family - at least I think so! I was surprised as King is not an Irish name, especially among Catholics, but they often anglicised their names especially since the British were making life so difficult and they had to do something to try and get work etc. So King may well be an anglicised version of Keane, which means that might be a useful track for me to follow also.
    People on this site are very knowledgable and helpful --- I am still learning but thanks to their help have found many unknown Irish relatives.
    Happy hunting
    MAry S

mkeevy

Default Help

Hi bonti,

I was just wondering if you found anything about KEEVY family that immigrated to South Africa?

I am a descendant of the eldest son Matthew, of John and Mary Keevy.

I would be very interested on know where in Ireland they were from. I would like to visit the area.

Of course if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks and regards,
    Matthew Keevy.