Frank W

Default FreeFind site search

+++++Cross-posted to UK Census Forum also+++++++

I've added a FreeFind site search facility to my Cendexes website (URL below) but early visitors may have noticed that their search text is not highlighted in every hit that is listed. The actual webpages shown do contain the search text somewhere (I think) but you have to look at the full page to see the context.

I think the trouble lies in my webpages "coding imperfections" rather than the search software, and I'm working through the various pages on the site to correct these.

Even so, it seems to be a very useful facility for picking out names from the pages for further study.

Regards..........Frank W

I have used Freefind on most of my sites and have not once seen it highlight the word on the search page.
    I think it is due to the development that goes towards a Free search engine and others that are not free will highlight the word.
    I even included on one of my sites tips on searching in that users should use the 'Find' / 'Search' facility on the browser. I find this works really well.

Neil

Frank W

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson
    I have used Freefind on most of my sites and have not once seen it highlight the word on the search page.
    I think it is due to the development that goes towards a Free search engine and others that are not free will highlight the word.
    I even included on one of my sites tips on searching in that users should use the 'Find' / 'Search' facility on the browser. I find this works really well.

Neil
    Hi Neil

I have had varying results by doing 'test' searches, but a fair proportion of the results do show the test string highlighted. I have put a unique test string at the foot of each web page, with pages of the same type of content having a class identifier built in, so I can test for search results on individual or types of page.

The search engine finds the pages ok, probably because it looks them up in its index, but actual presentation of results message=Hi Neil

I have had varying results by doing 'test' searches, but a fair proportion of the results do show the test string highlighted. I have put a unique test string at the foot of each web page, with pages of the same type of content having a class identifier built in, so I can test for search results on individual or types of page.

The search engine finds the pages ok, probably because it looks them up in its index, but actual presentation of results varies.

The only obvious thing is that shorter files are more likely to give highlighted search strings than longer files. Some results only display the earliest lines in the file, but others only get part way through.

Possible causes may be duff HTML code in the original pages, errors in the uploading process (found some multi-line gaps in the coding on some pages on the hosting ISP site), or perhaps the time available for the search engine to scrutinise the target files. (could also be ivaries.

The only obvious thing is that shorter files are more likely to give highlighted search strings than longer files. Some results only display the earliest lines in the file, but others only get part way through.

Possible causes may be duff HTML code in the original pages, errors in the uploading process (found some multi-line gaps in the coding on some pages on the hosting ISP site), or perhaps the time available for the search engine to scrutinise the target files. (could also be internet routing or congestion problems, or spam filters?)

The test results are not always exactly repeated for the same file on different occasions.

Regards.........Frank W