Chris Miles

Default Bargeman/Waterman Middleton

Hi
    My first question on this forum.
    William Middleton born 8th August 1868 , Great Ouseburn, York father John Middleton (Bargeman), William was down as a waterman when he attested to the Royal Artillery in 1895. Where or how can I find out the boat or boats they worked and which canal etc.
    Thanks, Chris

Barbara F

Default Bargeman/Waterman

Hello Chris
    I have only recently joined B-G so was reading through and saw your query. If you go to the 'Old Occupations' website www.rmhh.co.uk/occup you can find the description of a job title. In the case of waterman it was more likely river transport than canal. The town of Middleton on the Wolds doesn't appear to have a river and the nearest seems to be the Eastburn Beck which runs through Driffield towards Beverley. Of course further south is the Humber and then the Aire & Calder joins at Goole. Try the British Waterways Board they have archives but I don't think they are on line.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Barbara

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

My 3xgreat grandfather John Wallaker was a bergeman and waterman from Foulness in Essex. He is on the 1861 census in Essex and he wed in February 1866 in Lambeth, London to Oxon born Sarah Brain. I think he was a Thames waterman and may well have spent a lot of his life in London on the wharves and barges. I have not yet been able to locate his records but he later became a seaman and sailor, probably the merchant navy.

The best place for bargemans records would probably be Kew.

Ben

Chris Miles

Default Bargeman Middleton ( Great Ouseburn)

Hi
    I have found that John Middleton was captain of the vessel Oak 65ton
    berthed at Wakefield on the 1861 census can anyone tell me where I can find out more about this vessel, its owner etc
    Thanks Chris