Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    greann

Default Looking for info on William Bowman

Hi,
    Can anyone help me? I am looking for information on the Parents of William Bowman. He was born 1825, I think Galston, Ayr. He died November 18, 1864. On his death records it states his parents as William and Mary Bowman.
    Thanks,
    Ann

Kingetter

Quote Originally Posted by greann View Post
    Hi,
    Can anyone help me? I am looking for information on the Parents of William Bowman. He was born 1825, I think Galston, Ayr. He died November 18, 1864. On his death records it states his parents as William and Mary Bowman.
    Thanks,
    Ann

Ann,

Have you any idea where he died? Also, were his parents still alive?

James.

jane.harrison.9

Hi Ann,
    Do you know William's occupation ?
    Jane

greann

Hi,
    Thank you both for your interest.
    William B. died Nov. 18 1864 Dulkeith, Edinburgh it does not state weather his parents were alive or not. He was 39 or 40 yrs when he died, so it is quite possible they were!!
    He was an Iron Moulder and was married to Jane Wallace in 1847 Lanarkshire.
    Thanks again,
    Ann

Quote Originally Posted by greann View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you both for your interest.
    William B. died Nov. 18 1864 Dulkeith, Edinburgh it does not state weather his parents were alive or not. He was 39 or 40 yrs when he died, so it is quite possible they were!!
    He was an Iron Moulder and was married to Jane Wallace in 1847 Lanarkshire.
    Thanks again,
    Ann
    His death cert should give both his parents' names - does it not give his mother's maiden name?
    I rather think that should be DAlkeith, a suburb of Edinburgh.
    Have a look for him and Jane in the 1851 or 1861 census, then you'll at least get his birth parish, which should make finding his baptism easier.

Lesley

greann

Hi Lesley,
    I have checked the 1841 - 1861 census, I'm thinking he and his brother's and sister were actually orphaned and living with relatives or adopted parents. On his birth certificate it states his mother's name as being Jean Dunlop. Not able to find a marriage. On his death certificate it states his mother as being Mary Boreland. Can't find a thing on either of these ladies......
    Ann

Normally, I'd say to trust the info on certificates given while the person in question was alive - death certs get less rliable with every generation's distance between the deceased and the informant. However, I can't find death certs for Jean/Jane Bowman-Dunlop or Mary Bowman-Boreland which is a bit worrying...

Where did he say he was born, in the census?

I'm beginning to think that his parents were among the 1/3 of the Borders community who were members of non-conformist churches....

Maybe you should look for marriage (if post-1855) or death certs for his siblings?

Lesley

Mary Young

Ann, you said William Bowman was born in Galston, Ayrshire, and the birth certificate shows his parents' as William Bowman and Jean Dunlop. Is this birth certificate a family paper, or an extract from the Old Parish Registers. I can't find this birth in the on-line IGI under Bowman or Dunlop.
    Also, how do you know he had siblings? Please tell us their names and dob.

greann

Hi everyone,
    I made a mistake. After looking into the census records, William Bowman was born in Lanarkshire. It was his son that was born in Ayr.
    In the 1841 Census he is listed wih his brothers James -1829 Robert -1833 and sister Elizabeth 1831 all born Lanarkshire. They were all listed as stepchildren to Bernard and Martha Hair. Unfortunately, I can't find birth or marriages for any of William's siblings, but he did name two of his sons after his brothers.
    The birth certificate I have was ordered from the GRO. I'm 100% certain this is the correct person now, His son Archibald Wallace Bowman was my Great Great Granddad.
    Ann

Mary Young

Relationships were not on the schedule for the 1841 census, if you found "stepson" there it's very unusual.
    Have you seen the original image for the Hairs in 1851? I only have access to the A****y index. it shows a William Brown, stepson (who may be William Bowman) still at home with the family and no sign of his wife. Unfortunately this index doesn't show marital status.
    132 King Street, Calton, Ayr
    Bernard HAIR head, broker 44 Ayr
    Martha HAIR wife 45 Glasgow
    John BROWN stepson, broker 25 Glasgow
    William BROWN stepson, broker 23 Glasgow
    James BOWMAN stepson, iron moulder 22 Glasgow
    Elizabeth BOWMAN stepdaur, at home 17 Glasgow
    Robert BOWMAN stepson, teacher 15 Glasgow
    Alexander HAIR son 9 Glasgow
    Jane HAIR daur 7 Glasgow

If William Bowman was indeed stepson of Bernard Hair, then
    (1) he was son of a previous wife of Bernard Hair, or
    (2) his mother's name was MARTHA not JEAN or MARY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast