Thread: Dodds in Amagh

tiny99tina

Default Dodds in Amagh

Could someone please help with my Dodds ancestors' I believe they left the Borders of Scotland around 1700 & went to N. Ire. to work in the Linen Trade.Then around 1820 they emigrated to Canada. Some of the given names in the family are John, James, Robert, Elizabeth, Phoebe, Jane. Some believe they came from the Lisnadill Parish and were Presbyterians.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

scotyfrank

Default Dodds Ireland

Hiya,
    Can you please tell me if you have any Dodd's relations in Ayr, Ayrshire, Scotland my partner is from the Dodd's side of the family i have info on a Bernard Doods b1793 in Lligo Ireland his wife is Margaret in the 1861 census they wher staying in Castle Douglas Kirkcudbrightshire hope this helps.

regards Frank

tiny99tina

Default Dodds Armagh

Hi Scotty Frank, I believe my ancestors were from the Scottish borders up til 1700's then about a century in Armagh, emigrating C/ 1800 none that I am aware of have been associated with Ayr, Sorry , not able to assist here.
    Thanks for the post.

fmforker

Hello,
    My Mum was Amanda Dodds from Armagh. The family went to Boulder Colorada in 1897 when she was baby. The father was James Dodds.
    They returned to Lisglyn Armagh in 1901 and some years later remnants of the family emigrated to Canada. My Mum being the only one left in Ireland. Her brothers were Robert, Oscar & sister Ethel.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Doods of Scotland to N. Ire 1700's

Quote Originally Posted by tiny99tina View Post
    Could someone please help with my Dodds ancestors' I believe they left the Borders of Scotland around 1700 & went to N. Ire. to work in the Linen Trade.Then around 1820 they emigrated to Canada. Some of the given names in the family are John, James, Robert, Elizabeth, Phoebe, Jane. Some believe they came from the Lisnadill Parish and were Presbyterians.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Hi, my ancestor Samuel Dodd left Scotland in the 1700's and came to N. Ireland, County Down. He was traveling with a friend or relative named William Forrest or Forster. They bought farms from Squire Price in Carricknacessnaugh, a Parish of Saintfield, and had scutching mills and bleacheries. Samuel had Francis, William, and a Jane. His son Francis married Elizabeth McCracken and they had Sam (Big Sam), John, and a daughter. SAMUEL “Big Sam” and Agnes DUFF and had 11 children:
    John 1815
    Samuel 1821-1829
    William Henry 1823-1864
    FRANCIS 1824-1884
    James 1826
    Samuel 1832-1894 (Wee Sam)
    Thomas 1834
    Hugh 1836
    Mary Eliza 1837-1896
    Jane 1839-1897
    Salina 1845-1891
    FRANCIS married Margaret SHIELDS (1836-1914) both were born in County Down and came to Brooklyn, New York, USA
    They had a son SAMUEL, who had a son Walter, who had a son Francis my grandfather! My grandfather Francis spent years researching the above information back in the fifties and sixties through a lot of correspondence. I’m hoping to fill it in and connect the dots. Please help me find any stories, photos, relatives, even a family crest! Thank you very much.