Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default THOMAS POOLE..1806..MASTER MASON

My husband's gg grandfather Thomas Poole, born 1806 in Gloustershire was a master mason upon his arrival in Canada. I am wondering where he would have learned his trade and if I can find records of this.
    Thanks
    Sue

birdlip

Hi Sue,

I have a couple of families of stonemasons in my tree. The trade was often passed down through the generations, from father to son(s) and/or nephews. In these cases, unfortunately no formal records of apprenticeship were written.

regards birdlip

birdlip

...you may be able to find him or his family in a Trade Directory though. When did he arrive in Canada?

He first sailed to New York, but didn't find work there so he came to Toronto in the late 1820's...I believe. ( I haven't found him on a ship's list,yet) He was given the job of building a house for Robert Copeland who was given 200 acres in what is now Mississauga. The land was given to Copeland for fighting with the Loyalists. The house is now a "heritage house" in part of a booming city!
    He also married Robert Copeland's daughter Mary and that begins another long story in the family!
    I believe he came from Mailenbury? Gloucestershire, ( according to family documents)but as I have yet to get his marriage registration I haven't been able to completely trace his heritage in England....I don't know his parents names ...it is said that he had 2 sisters in England.

birdlip

I think that would have to be Malmesbury.

birdlip

hmmm...Malmesbury's in Wiltshire, so that can't be right. Though its right on the border with Gloucestershire, so perhaps the border has changed over time? I can't think of anywhere else, unless its the name of a tiny hamlet that doesn't exist any more.

Thanks for your suggestions....I'll keep digging..I have looked at some of the trade lists, but so far they are all after he would have left England. Perhaps the borders have changed..seems to me I did read that they had when scrolling through some information under Price & A..... Lot's of stuff to read there. It's just sooooo interesting and there's not enough hours in a day to work on our puzzles.. if only I was independantly wealthy maybe I could have time to search it all!!!!!

betty judge

Default thomas poole 1806 master mason

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post

My husband's gg grandfather Thomas Poole, born 1806 in Gloustershire was a master mason upon his arrival in Canada. I am wondering where he would have learned his trade and if I can find records of this.
    Thanks
    Sue
    I think John Poole was b in Maisemore Goucestershire, and his family is thus:

John Poole b abt 1770 Maisemore and his wife Eleanor b abt 1774 Maisemore They had 6 children:
    John Poole bap 24 july 1796 Maisemore (poss died bef 1807)
    Thomas Poole bap 3 june 1798 Maisemore
    Ann Poole bap 26 Oct 1800 Maisemore
    Joseph Poole bap 10 april 1893 Maisemore
    THOMAS POOLE bap 12 april 1805 Maisemore
    John Poole bap 27 May 1807 Maisemoe Glos.

The Poole's are first baptised in 1672 at Maisemore .

I could not find any Pooles elsewhere ,

There are many men in Glousesteshire, (Cliffords among them) that were master Masons. Their houses were built with lovely blocks of golden coloured stone. Most were apprenticed to either their fathers or to local Stone masons.
    I hope this will help you
    Betty Judge.

Hello Betty...

Thankyou for a promising lead!

Thomas Poole built a fantastic home for Robert Copeland in 1837 in what is now Mississauga Ont. The house is now classed as a Heritage home... so it is privatly owned, but protected, as it is one of the oldest homes in the area. In 1838 Thomas married Robert's daughter, Mary and a few generations later along came my husband !!!! There are a couple of interesting websites about the family, but nothing goes back beyond Thomas on the Poole side.

When I have a bit more time I shall certainly check into this information further.

Thankyou, again Now I don't want to go out in the cold to pay bills and buy groceries..... this is so addictive.

Sue

bec123

Default Robert and Thomas Copeland

Just wondering if anyone had any further information for Robert and Thomas Copeland. Does anyone know where in england they were from.

Thanks

Brant Copeland

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast