Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by bec123 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had any further information for Robert and Thomas Copeland. Does anyone know where in england they were from.

Thanks

Brant Copeland
    Hi and welcome...

I have sent you a private message.

Sue

Default update

I have recently been sent some interesting information on a Thomas Poole born in Tetbury, Gloucestershire which I understand is very near Malmesbury, Wiltshire. Does anyone know of that family? This Thomas had an older brother who was William who was born in Tetbury and moved to live and later die in Malmesbury. Their parents were Edward Poole and Mary Butler and apparantly in the 1841 census the father's address is next door to Highgrove House.
    I really would love to have the time to get back to searching some more... maybe after Christmas???
    Anyway....if anyone has any information I would be very thankful.

Sue

janbooth

Default POOLE family

There is an extracted marriage record on the IGI of a John POOL and an Eleanor WOOD on 6 August 1792 at Hartpury which is very close to Maisemore that could be relevant to you.

Janet

janbooth

Default Thomas POOL(E)

Sue,

Extracted baptism for Thomas POOL on 27 November 1808 at Tetbury, father Edward mother Mary. Siblings are Jane bap 7 March 1802, Dennis 11 Mar 1803, Ann 16 Sep 1804, Eliza 25 Dec 1806, Mary 2 July 1810 & Richard 5 Apr 1812.

This looks like Edward & family in the 1841 census of Tetbury:

HO107/362/12, folio 9, page 11
    Underbridge Lane

Edward POOL 65 Mason
    Mary do 60
    Ann do 30
    Eliza do 25
    John do 24 Ag Labourer
    Adam do 20 do
    William COOK 14 do

All born in the county. The next house down is Highgrove Lodge and the following one that of Highgrove House. Sounds interesting that Edward's profession was that of a Mason doesn't it. According to Phillimores Marriage Index Edward POOLE married Mary BUTLER at Kingscote on 29 November 1798 and there is an extracted baptism on the IGI at Kingscote of a William POOLE, son Edward & Mary, on 15 September 1799. There are POOLE marriage records on the Phillimores Marriage Index at Tetbury from 1640 so they look as if they go quite a way back there.

The Gloucestershire Burial Index has a burial for an Edward POOLE at Tetbury on 10 September 1848, aged 74.

HTH further

Janet

Thank you Janet

With such common names this is a hard family to trace and see if we have the correct one. I appreciate what you have unearthed and will check it all out as well.

Another question ... is Phillimores marriage Index online?

This distant cousin of my husband's also said he found a possible Thomas, arriving in New York in 1836, however he was travelling with an Elizabeth Pool and wondered if he had married in England and then she died after arriving in North America as he married Mary Copeland. I think this ( Thomas on ship's list) is the wrong Thomas, but would like to be certain.

Thanks again for the information...

Sue

janbooth

Default POOLE family

Hi Sue,

If you Google Phillimores Marriage Index it will bring up online resources for you. I think some of them are pay per view but you can also buy cds of various counties. Have a look on BGs sponsors site "The Parish Chest" for cds available to purchase.

Janet

janbooth

Default Thomas POOLE

Another thought Sue. Have you found the marriage certificate for Thomas & Mary COPELAND because that should give you his father's name and profession, if, that is, American marriage certificates contain the same amount of information as English ones.

Janet

Hi Janet..

There's a few of us working on this family.. don't know if we can get a marriage certificate or not... this marriage took place in Upper Canada..late 1830's... not alot of paper trails. I doubt his parents are even mentione as they were back in England. I know my gr.grandparents were married in 1862 and all I have on their records is their paren'ts first names..no residence, occupation or anything!

We will keep searching...

Thanks again for your suggestions and information.

Sue

TrevorFranklin

Sue
    I descend from the Pooles that you are talking about.
    Can go back as far as Edward and Mary.
    William was my 3xGt Grandfather.

Regards
    Trev

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post
    I have recently been sent some interesting information on a Thomas Poole born in Tetbury, Gloucestershire which I understand is very near Malmesbury, Wiltshire. Does anyone know of that family? This Thomas had an older brother who was William who was born in Tetbury and moved to live and later die in Malmesbury. Their parents were Edward Poole and Mary Butler and apparantly in the 1841 census the father's address is next door to Highgrove House.
    I really would love to have the time to get back to searching some more... maybe after Christmas???
    Anyway....if anyone has any information I would be very thankful.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
    Sue
    I descend from the Pooles that you are talking about.
    Can go back as far as Edward and Mary.
    William was my 3xGt Grandfather.

Regards
    Trev
    Hi Trev....

Do you know if the Thomas I am searching is a member of your family of Pooles? Or.... Is my hubby's distant cousin following the wrong family?

Thanks..

Sue

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast