lil row

Default MADDIX -29 BOW STREET DUBLIN

Two years ago I started on a quest to find relatives mentioned in a poignant letter to my grandfather Patrick Stafford, who had emigrated from Ireland to the United States. Thel letter which talks of sad tales on both sides of the Atlantic ends with "what end of family". Through the help of the wonderful participants in B-G forums I located cousins in Liverpool.
    We are now attempting to find information on the Laurence and Margaret (Peg) Maddix family who lived at the above address according to the 1911 census.
    The letter is undated and states that Peg died and left behind 4 children, a boy who is a compositor, a girl who teaches piano, and 2 girls who "do nothing".
    The 1911 census confirms 6 occupants of the house:
    Laurence Maddix age 41
    Margaret Maddix age 39
    Dorothy Maddix, age 11
    John Maddix, age 8
    Anna Eliz Maddix, age 6
    Eileen Madix, age 0

A Google search has led me to believe Anna Eliz may have been the piano teacher for Irish musicologist Ted Courtney.
    I also found that their 29 Bow Street home may now be a homeless shelter.
    Last summer unbeknownst to me at the time I must have been very close to #29 as I visited the Jameson Distillery!
    Any help or suggestions how I can locate descendants for a family reunion will be enormously appreciated.

Starting to feel at home

Default Maddix search

Hi Lil Row,

I tried the Ireland online phonebook (www.eircomphonebook.ie) and was surprised to find not a single Maddix entry - most unusual. It is possible that if there are any in Ireland they are either ex directory, or do not have a land line. The census return states both the parents were from Wexford, and another Maddix family in the same census shows they were from Dublin. Given the relative rarity of the surname in Ireland I would guess that your forebears were British as there are many many people of that name appearing in a search of UK genealogy websites.

A Google.ie search shows a few possibilities with people called Maddix in Ireland but I can't find any contact details.

It is easier to trace ancestors going back in time than it is to try and trace descendants going forward. You need to concentrate on the children mentioned in the census. Unfortunately there was only one boy who, if he survived, was going to be the only one in Ireland to carry on the surname. I would suggest looking for marriage records which hopefully will find at least one match, and death / burial records. I would guess that you are based in the USA so a personal search will be difficult for you to do, and I'm afraid that online resources for Ireland are not exactly plentiful. There is a new website though which you may try - brsgenealogy. However, I must caution you that in my opinion the prices they quote are very expensive compared with some of the other UK based websites.

The Irish Times newspaper has an online archive database which is searchable for a relatively modest fee - you could try that for any mention of "Maddix" - which will pick up any death notices, or weddings etc. - provided the family placed the ads with this newspaper! Their site is https://www.ireland.com/search/library/index.html.

Also you could try the other Irish newspapers at https://irishnewspaperarchives.com/.

Finally - I've included this last web link which will give you more detailed help as to what other options may be open to you in your searches eneclann.ie.

Best of luck with your quest,
    Eric Sheppard
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2008 at 2:51 PM. Reason: Commercial links

lil row

Default A few questions before I have my final answers

First of all thank you Eric for your valuable resources.

I have learned much and will post my findings. However I first have a few questions:

What do the initials D.T.P.S. stand for?

Is Shelbourne F.C. a football club in Dublin?

What is a FEIS?

Thank you all

Starting to feel at home

Hi again,

1. DTPS - not sure in what context you came across these initials - there are a few possibilities. However, at a guess it could be the Dublin Typographical Provident Society: Founded in the early 1900s, necessitated by the illegality of Trade Unions in Ireland at the time, it was a benevolent society performing Trade Union functions.

2. Shelbourne F.C. - Yes this is a football club and still going!

3. Feis (pronounced FESH) - An Irish word meaning festival, e.g. Feis Ceol = a music festival. Still going strong in various arts of the country.

Regards,
    Eric

lil row

Default Puzzle almost solved- still hoping

Hello again,
    I used the newspaper archives and to my delight was able to find much information providing me with dates and events in the life of the Maddix family.
    Sadly I found that son Jack died suddenly 5 years after his mother Peg, and that the father Laurence died in 1941. Daughter Anna had a rather colorful career as a piano teacher and died in 1980. It appears that Anna and Jack never married and left no descendants.
    I was not able to find death notices or marriage notices for Dorothy Maddix, born around 1900 or Eileen Maddix born around 1910 or 1911. I believe both were born in Dublin.
    Any ideas where I might find such information on Dorothy or Eileen?
    BG participants have helped me in the past break down brick walls-I'm sure it will happen again.
    Thanks as always

Starting to feel at home

Default GRO Office Ireland

The GRO Office in Dublin is an invaluable place in which you can search your Irish ancestors and where successful you can obtain copies of the BMD registries entries. See https://www.groireland.ie/research.htm

As to researching the death entries - unless you want to employ someone to do the research for you, the best bet is to come over for a couple of days and trawl through the records yourself. With a relatively rare name like Maddix your search would be somewhat easier!

Eric

Default Anna…..

While googling my old piano teacher I found this post. I went to lessons with Anna Maddix on Ormond Quay in Dublin in the 1970s. She was not married and really seemed to dedicate herself to her students and life of teaching. It was not far from Bow Street. Lessons were private and she always wore the gown every time I was there maybe even the cap too. That building is now gone too. If anyone reads this I can send you photos of the locations If you would like as I am not too far from there.

Quote Originally Posted by lil row View Post
    Two years ago I started on a quest to find relatives mentioned in a poignant letter to my grandfather Patrick Stafford, who had emigrated from Ireland to the United States. Thel letter which talks of sad tales on both sides of the Atlantic ends with "what end of family". Through the help of the wonderful participants in B-G forums I located cousins in Liverpool.
    We are now attempting to find information on the Laurence and Margaret (Peg) Maddix family who lived at the above address according to the 1911 census.
    The letter is undated and states that Peg died and left behind 4 children, a boy who is a compositor, a girl who teaches piano, and 2 girls who "do nothing".
    The 1911 census confirms 6 occupants of the house:
    Laurence Maddix age 41
    Margaret Maddix age 39
    Dorothy Maddix, age 11
    John Maddix, age 8
    Anna Eliz Maddix, age 6
    Eileen Madix, age 0

A Google search has led me to believe Anna Eliz may have been the piano teacher for Irish musicologist Ted Courtney.
    I also found that their 29 Bow Street home may now be a homeless shelter.
    Last summer unbeknownst to me at the time I must have been very close to #29 as I visited the Jameson Distillery!
    Any help or suggestions how I can locate descendants for a family reunion will be enormously appreciated.