saratrimble

Default Researching Calf surname in Cornwall

Hi All!
    I am researching an ancestor from Cornwall- A William Calf born around 1770. I am not certain of which area although I know there were several around Truro. This particular ancestor was convicted in the Taunton Assizes and the Cornwall Assizes in 1797 for life for highway robbery. He was sent to the prisoner Hulk, "La Fortunee" in Portsmouth Harbor while awaiting transport to Australia on the "Barwell" in 1798. Strong possiblity he left a family behind (he was around 28 yoa at time of transport. There is a William Calf born in 1795/96 and also one born in 1797 to a William & Esther in Truro that may possibly be the one?? Most convicts couldn't take their families with them and one reason I suspect he left folks behind is that when he arrived in Australia, he had 3 boys with an Elizabeth Smith (another convict) and changed the boys surnames to Cafe. Maybe too painful for him to rename children with Calf if he left some behind?? I would appreciate any info anyone may have
    Kind Regards
    Sara Trimble

Wobbley

Parish Truro St Mary's
    Name: William CALF
    Father: Robert CALF - Mother Sarah **
    Date 14th Mar 1762
    ----------------------------------------------
    Parish Truro St Mary's
    Name: John CALF
    Date 19th Aug 1764
    ----------------------------------------------
    Parish St Clement
    Name: Thomas CALF
    Date 30th Mar 1768

** Could be the same parents ?

Brian

saratrimble

Wink Calf surname

Bo Peep & Wobbley, thanks for your info- I did run across a William Calf born 29 Dec 1795 to a William & Esther in Truro- I am wondering if perhaps THIS William JR might be a son to the William Calf I am searching for as I would assume he had children before being transported to Australia since most convicts couldn't take their families- I wonder if this boy and his mom Esther were left behind?? Also found another William born to William & Esther born in 15 Jan 1797 so perhaps the first William JR died?? the first one was christened at St Mary's?? 08 Jan 1796 and the second William was christened 27 Jan 1797 and William Sr (if same one) was tried in March/April 1797 and transported to Australia in 1798.
    I appreciate you keeping your eyes open for me

Kind Regards
    Sara

saratrimble

Default Calf Surname

Also, believe the William Calf I am searching for was born around 1770 and the ship's register lists his age as 28 in 1798.
    thanks

Sara

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default RE Willial Calf

Quote Originally Posted by saratrimble View Post
    Also, believe the William Calf I am searching for was born around 1770 and the ship's register lists his age as 28 in 1798.
    thanks

Sara
    Hi Sara

Are yoy still researching Wulliam Calf? I have come across him in my family research.

Regards

Faye Destry

3/12/2019

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Faye.
    Unfortunately Sara hasn't been on the forums since 2008 but if she still has the same email address she may receive notifiction of your post.
    Now that you have taken the trouble to join why not stay a while for a look see and if you need any help with anything our members are only too willing to see what they can do..
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs