Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Privacy on BG

elizabethjones1

Angry Privacy on BG

Just a thought but have just put into Google one of my research surnames and the town name really to see what came up as you never know and one of my BG postings came up on the search with my photo.That is fine but it does occur to me and this is something that I am guilty of ! that if we put in a lot of personal info,like how we are related etc are we laying ourselves open slightly or am I being a tad paranoid?:

Peter_uk_can

Very much a case of "Don't write it = Don't read it"

Any text, anywhere on a website has the possibility of being read.

Spiders crawl this and all other forums on a regular basis.

It is for this reason that I continually refuse to publish the fact that my prefered night time attire is silk and pink (with cute little bows)

elizabethjones1

Default Privacy on BG

Yes Peter you are absolutely right and I guess that the right word formula would have to be put into Google I think that my first reaction was Oh that's meI like the cute bows ideaeliza

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    It is for this reason that I continually refuse to publish the fact that my prefered night time attire is silk and pink (with cute little bows)
    My imagination is running wild Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    Thank God for that, I thought it was just me!

Knowledgeable and helpful

It's the bows I'm interested in.

Browneyes

Peter_uk_can

It is strictly on a pay-per-view basis. Let me know what you can afford and I will tell you what it will cost.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Unfortunately my budget is spoken for sorry. Presumably future geneologists in your family will look upon you...and MikeJ (in the nicest possible way of course) as very colourful people with slight eccentricities.

On a serious note..I do agree about privacy and being very careful about what information you put on the internet. There are some very curious and 'naughty' people in this world...hence for example that 'orrible stuff called spam.

Browneyes

Guy Etchells

Totally paranoid.
    There is nothing private about birth, marriage or death information or relationships.

If you really wish to be paranoid consider that if and when ID cards are issued it will be totally impossible to clear ones name if and when that ID card is cloned or forged by criminals.
    Sweet dreams.
    Cheers
    Guy

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Totally paranoid.
    There is nothing private about birth, marriage or death information or relationships.

Cheers
    Guy
    Indeed not Guy One only has to take a peek at one of the sites which give BMD details up to the turn of this century to realise this. My own birth, wedding and the births of both my daughters are freely (well, for the subscription price) available.
    It would be trivial to "become" me, or any other person by getting hold of the relevant certificates and using some basic social engineering techniques. Yes, it shouldn't be possible to pass oneself off as another, but you would be shocked how easy it is.
    Until you actually need to deal with your bank via the phone, or the Revenue or other organisations who use the Data Protection Act as an excuse to do nothing that is....

Mark

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast